PDA

View Full Version : Hugh Burns County Down to NB, Canada

Inez Reed
30-12-2008, 1:12 AM
I am seeking information on the forebears of Hugh and Bridget Burns who emigrated to Charlotte County, New Brunswick, Canada in 1818. The 1851 St. Patrick Parish census lists her birth year as 1771. An 1856 obituary lists her birth place as county Down, Ireland. He was born in about 1773 ostensibly in County, Down, Ireland. They have at least one son, Barnard (variations therefore) born in 1803.

Would anyone have seen records pertaining to this trio?

Inez

Strangford
04-01-2009, 8:42 PM
Hi Inez the name Burns is quite common in Co Down, especially South Down as you can see by the following site:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/B/BurnsAJ.htm

Have you any other information on them.

Jane

Inez Reed
10-04-2009, 2:36 AM
Hi Jane - Hugh Burns was listed in the 1851 Charlotte County Census as a farmer and a Roman Catholic (or his children were practicing). He had two children, my ancestor, Catharine b. in 1801 in Ireland; and Barnard (also listed as Bernard or Barnsby) b. in 1803 in Ireland. Hugh and his family didn't leave for Canada until 1818. I had wondered if he'd appeared in the agricultural census of 1803 in either Antrim/Down. The only record, to date, is for a Hugh Burns of Kilmegan, Flax farmer in 1796.

This is the sum total of what I do and don't know about Hugh and his family.

Cheers,

Inez