PDA

View Full Version : 1841/1851 census lookup please (Finchley area) - MIDDLETON family

Kate Terry
07-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi all -

I'd be grateful if anyone could help me locate my ggg grandfather, Harman (sometimes also spelt Halmond or Harmond) Grisewood Middleton on the 1841 and 1851 census returns for Finchley.

Harman Middleton was born 5 November 1840 at Hog Market, Finchley. His mother was Caroline Middleton, with no father listed. Does anyone know where the Hog Market was? Was there a poorhouse/workhouse there?

He later moved to Hertford, where I have found him on the 1861 census age 20, as an apprentice slater. But, he does not appear on the 1851 or 1841 census returns for Hertford, so I think he was still in Finchley.

I believe Caroline Middleton may have been a servant at a house called Burntwood Grange in Finchley, owned by the Grisewood family. They had a son called Harman Grisewood who was about 18 yrs old at the point my ggg grandfather was born, so given the similarity of the names, I am thinking that he may by the father!!

Any information relating to the Middleton family would be gratefully received, as I cannot seem to find any info on Caroline anywhere - I have no idea when she was born, if she subsequently married, who her parents were... Please help!!

Many thanks for your time,
!!!!!!!!

kathy.grant
08-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Hi Kate,

A friend and I have extracted most of the MIDDLETONS from the 1841 census for London. I have not come across your Harman Middleton yet.

I rechecked the area of Finchley around Hog Market just in case I missed him, but still can't find either of them.

I'm sorry I couldn't help but I will let you know if I find Caroline and Harman in the future.

Regards........Kathy Grant (Brisbane, Australia)

Kate Terry
08-02-2005, 6:48 PM
Hi Kathy -

Very, very many thanks for your post. I wonder where he has got to then? :confused: I guess I'll just have to wait until the 1841 census are complete on freecen and do a general search. Many thanks for your time in any case.

Cheers............Kate

njpsmartin
06-07-2010, 6:43 AM
Hi all -

I'd be grateful if anyone could help me locate my ggg grandfather, Harman (sometimes also spelt Halmond or Harmond) Grisewood Middleton on the 1841 and 1851 census returns for Finchley.

Harman Middleton was born 5 November 1840 at Hog Market, Finchley. His mother was Caroline Middleton, with no father listed. Does anyone know where the Hog Market was? Was there a poorhouse/workhouse there?

He later moved to Hertford, where I have found him on the 1861 census age 20, as an apprentice slater. But, he does not appear on the 1851 or 1841 census returns for Hertford, so I think he was still in Finchley.

I believe Caroline Middleton may have been a servant at a house called Burntwood Grange in Finchley, owned by the Grisewood family. They had a son called Harman Grisewood who was about 18 yrs old at the point my ggg grandfather was born, so given the similarity of the names, I am thinking that he may by the father!!

Any information relating to the Middleton family would be gratefully received, as I cannot seem to find any info on Caroline anywhere - I have no idea when she was born, if she subsequently married, who her parents were... Please help!!

Many thanks for your time,
!!!!!!!!
I found Harman Middleton in the 1881 British census , living in The Wash ,Hertford England It is indicated that he was indeed a slater and employed one man and 2 boys. He was married to Sarah Middleton who worked in a toy shop along with her daughter Annie who was 16 at the time. They also had a son named Harman who was 11 in 1881 and was a student.Source is the Familysearch . org. Morman records.
I know that this is some time after you posted but being a Middleton myself I know every little bit helps.
Lots of Luck from Down Under.
Neal J. Martin(Middleton) njpsmartin AT yahoo DOT com

Aussie Shep
06-07-2010, 6:53 AM
Hi Kerry
my dad's family hail from around Finchley. there is a website called barnet gov uk it is a great read for all things on the area, they have a page on the hog market and church lane.

Aussie Shep
06-07-2010, 7:05 AM
I just had a look on the 1841 census on fmp under the street address of Hog Market Finchley and found no reference for the name Middleton.

Aussie Shep
06-07-2010, 7:55 AM
England Census 1871: Halmond is listed as Head aged 30yrs born Middlesex, OCCUPATION is slater; his wife is Nancy Sarah aged 20years born Hertfordshire; daughter Anne Middleton aged 6years son Halmond James aged 1yrs living at Wash, St Andrew Hertford
RG10 PIECE: 1372 FOLIO:129 PAGE:4

Marriage Regsitered Dec 1863 Hertford volume 3a page 403.
Nancy Sarah Lambert to Harmond Middleton

Aussie Shep
06-07-2010, 7:59 AM
I think Halmond J Middleton the son of Senior Halmond ends up back in London, the 1901 census has a Halmond J Middleton aged 31yrs occupation is hair dress born hertford married to ann r living at barbers shop hall road camberwell london
RG13 PIECE:508 FOLIO:12 PAGE:14