PDA

View Full Version : 1911 census and a considerate GGUncle

Sandra Parker
20-12-2008, 9:49 PM
I have just looked up my GGrandparents generation on the trial 1911 and lo and behold, one of them thoughtfully added all members of his family, including one living away and 3 who had died. The enumerator had then deleted them with a single stroke, allowing me to read the lot!
So I have been able to verify a couple of queries, and add 3 more names and their details by following up on BMD etc.
So Mum Dad, and Dad and 5 kids living in 4 rooms, including a kitchen, they were better off than my other side family with Mum, Dad, 6 kids (2 more had died in infancy) and 2 materrnal uncles, all living in 3 rooms, including kitchen!

Bit expensive, but it's my Christmas present to me!|biggrin|

Seasons Greetings to all forum folk and many thanks for all your assistance throughout the year.

Sandra with the spectacled aura

v.wells
20-12-2008, 10:19 PM
LUCKY YOU Sandra:)! I am going to try it tomorrow and hope that I turn up something good.:D

Rubina
21-12-2008, 1:04 AM
Fantastic news for you!!

But, Sandra, I am confused! There have been several postings on this forum about he 1911 census and I thought that we couldn't access this until spring 2009 earliest? And then, only for the London area....

I have obviously got something wrong!

Rubina

Procat
21-12-2008, 1:48 AM
Hi Rubina,

There is a test site running to which a number of people have been invited to try. It appears if you had registered with FMP to receive update emails about the 1911 you got a test request.

See this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37341).

NickM
21-12-2008, 10:19 AM
It looks like a lot of mistakes were made in the 1911 census - I looked up my grandfather and grandmother, and my grandfather had filled in the form, and at some stage he realised that there were different columns for the ages of males and females. So, all the females had been inked out of the male column and entered into the female column. Now I know where I get my impetuous nature from ;)

elaine webb
21-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi Rubina,

I was invited to use the "Test Site" but it was absolutely useless to me as it ony covers a few Counties and not Durham or Lancashire which is what I wanted. I will have to wait until next year!

Best wishes

Elaine

Ladkyis
21-12-2008, 1:43 PM
Well, it's good. All the images I have looked at so far have been very clear and easy to read.
I got a real thrill when I realised that the writing was that of my ancestor and his signature was in the corner of the page.
My ancestor had put the girl's ages in the wrong column too.

Something that puzzles me is that they were living in a house with 9 rooms and yet his occupation is warehouseman. I suspect that the house was either owned by them or perhaps by another family member who let them live there. I must try to discover what sort of area they were living in too.

Rubina
21-12-2008, 5:25 PM
Hi Rubina,

I was invited to use the "Test Site" but it was absolutely useless to me as it ony covers a few Counties and not Durham or Lancashire which is what I wanted. I will have to wait until next year!

Ah, I am not jealous now!! It would only have been any good to me if it was Lancashire, Cheshire or Northumberland!

I need Scotland too. Does anyone know what will be happening with that?

Still, it is great for some people who have found lots already!

It will be our turn soon!:):

Rubina

Wilkes_ml
21-12-2008, 10:33 PM
two of my ancestors also put all the ages in the same column - which were then crossed out. Must have been a common mistake! One didn't know he was married - so the enumerator put M in red!

Another strange one - a widowed ancestor had put the number of children born, living and died - and these were crossed out in red. I guess this was because the heading says "children born alive to present marriage" and she was no longer in a marriage! Fortunately the figures were easily readable.

And every single family I found had at least one child that had died.

It is quite interesting reading the monthly updates on the 1911 site - some people wrote some very interesting comments on their schedules!!

idredge
22-12-2008, 9:06 PM
This does sound interesting hopfully this will answer one or two question we have in our family. Maybe this time the site won't crash, they sound as if they will introduce it a bit at a time ok if yours is one of the early ones. But this is better than another 3 years waiting.

Roll on spring.
Irene