PDA

View Full Version : seeking info. re maternal grandparents

Brian Hobin
07-02-2005, 4:13 AM
My mother's name is Kathleen CROFT. Before she died, always wanted to know more about her parents and why she was "fostered". That then is my interest but I have little information to start with. A paradox or conundrum involved her father, Mr. Frederick CROFT.

My mother was born as Kathleen CROFT on "nineteenth September 1900 at 69 Windsor Road in the Registration District of Romford in the Sub-district of Ilford, in the County of Essex. Her parent's were, Frederick CROFT ("Commercial Clerk Reservist on Active Service") and Sarah CROFT (" formerly SCALES").

In Kathleen's early years, the family myth is that when Frederick was killed in
South Africa in the early 1900's in the English-South African War, Kathleen was placed with. William and Mary JOHNSON a family in London.

When William JOHNSON died, a letter that I received that relates that the " Minutes of the Public Control Committee of the London Council for 15 October 1909 gave an authorization for Mrs Mary JOHNSON of 55 Arliss Road , Lavender Hill to take in 5 foster children and a further minute of the same committee on 14 October 1910 increases this from 5 to 6."

Written in the same letter, was the information that in December 1911 under a street renaming, this address became No 279 Eversleigh Road, Battersea S.W. London.

William and Mary JOHNSON had, as far as I know, three children: Lillian; Jack and William.

Is there a way to determine if the JOHNSON family were friends or possibly extended family to my mother?
Regards

Brian Hobin