PDA

View Full Version : Search for Briser from Carlisle

freddie999
18-12-2008, 12:44 PM
I have a photo of a grave stone which includes the deaths of (wife) Sarah Elizabeth Briser, Joseph Briser (1939) age 79, and (daughter) Phyllis McAllister (1957) age 73

These three obviously lived into the 1800, I have been able to find Phyllis Briser in the 1891 census living at 1 Winers Court, St Mary Carlisle with her parents. Joseph would have been born in 1860, I have been unable to find him in the 1861/1871/1881 census. I know mistakes have been made in translating the census returns. Using wildcards, all I have been able to come up with these surnames: Bristo & Brisco for both Joseph and Elisabeth.

As Phyllis was aged 8 in the 1891 census, it is possible that Joseph and Elizabeth could be married at the time of the 1881, so I was dissapointed not to find them in the census.

Can anyone cast any light on this puzzle?

Thanks

Craig

janbooth
18-12-2008, 2:04 PM
Could this be Phyllis in the 1901 census of Rickergate, Cumberland (transcribed as BRISSE):

RG13/4867, folio 85, page 18
Whipper Lane

William IRVING Head M 25 Laborer (General) Cumberland Longtown
Jane do Wife M 25 Cotton Weaver do Carlisle
Phyllis BRISER Cousin S 19 Garden Laborer do do

I think the address in the 1891 census could be 1 Muirs Court - the address is much clearer in the Description of the Enumeration District. According to this census record, Joseph BRISER is aged 50 which would make his date of birth c1841 - a long way out from the age at death that you have found. This looks as if it could be Joseph (unmarried) in the 1881 census of Stainton, Cumberland:

RG11/5161, folio 50, page 40

Joseph BRISCO U.M. 41 General Servant Farm Westmorland Kirkby Stephen

He is living in the household of a Thomas JAMES, Farmer of 330 acres.

There is a marriage for a Joseph BRISCO on FreeBMD in the Dec qtr 1881 at Carlisle reg district, vol 10b, page 754 and one of the other names on the page is that of a Sarah FIRTH which sounds a likely candidate for the marriage given that Phyllis was born c1882.

There is this Joseph BRISCO in the 1871 census of Wetheral, Cumberland (he seems to be getting older by each census!!):

RG10/5215, folio 5, page 3
Fish Cottage

Joseph BRISCO Head Mar 34 Bricklayer's Labourer Westmorld K Stephen
Elizabeth do Wife Mar 28 Agricultural Worker Cumbd Wetheral

There is a death registration for an Elizabeth BRISCO at Carlisle reg district in the June qtr 1878, vol 10b, page 283 which seems to have been registered twice, one giving her age as 35, the other 36. Plus a marriage registration, this time for a Joseph BRISTO, in the December qtr 1867 at Carlisle reg district, vol 10b, page 717 and an Elizabeth AIREY appears on the same page.

I lose track of this Joseph with any certainty prior to the 1871 census so I suggest you purchase his marriage certificate to Sarah, which should then give you his father's name and profession which may enable you to track him in earlier census records.

HTH

Janet