PDA

View Full Version : .CHT File - can anyone convert it for me?

NatashaBatsford
15-12-2008, 9:23 AM
Hi

I've been sent a .CHT file from another member of the family who has just contacted me.

Does anyone have the capacity to turn this into a gedcom for me please?

Thanks
Tash

Peter Goodey
15-12-2008, 9:39 AM
I believe .CHT is a Generations file. Can't you ask the person who sent it to you to send a gedcom?

NatashaBatsford
15-12-2008, 9:55 AM
Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply

I have done just that but this was a contact via GR and I was wondering if there was a quick and easy way for me to convert it

Thanks
Tash

PS How on earth did you know that?!?!

Lesley Robertson
15-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply

I have done just that but this was a contact via GR and I was wondering if there was a quick and easy way for me to convert it

Thanks
Tash

PS How on earth did you know that?!?!

He's good!

It might be worth checking the Generations site to see whether they have a demo you can download, then you can read the file and make a gedcom yourself.

Lesley

michaelpipe
15-12-2008, 10:07 AM
This Harvard Graphics Viewer (free download) will enable you to view the file, but I have no idea how / if you can extract the information.

Could try opening it with Powerpoint - I think it can handle chart files, but again only to browse.

http://www.harvardgraphics.com/hg-viewer-download.asp

NatashaBatsford
15-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Isn't he just!!! :)

I've tried Powerpoint (using 2007) and that viewer and neither of them will allow me to open it

I'm struggling to find the homepage for this software too, seems there are a few reviews and some talk of Sierra selling it to another company and after that, all I seem to be able to find is a website that redirects to a Lucas Corp site that has loads of games.

I know Kung Fu Panda is good, but I'm not sure if he's good enough to convert this file |laugh1|

Tash

15-12-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm afraid that a .cht file can not be converted to Gedcom.

It is a diagramatic file format used by the Easychart component of Generations.

If you are unable to obtain a Gedcom from your contact, the only way to "extract" the information will be to re-type it into whichever program you use from either the screen display or a printed copy of the chart.

Graham

NatashaBatsford
15-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks Graham

Unfortunately, I'm not even at that stage yet - I can't find a way to even view the file!!

Thanks
Tash

15-12-2008, 2:24 PM
Thanks Graham

Unfortunately, I'm not even at that stage yet - I can't find a way to even view the file!!

Thanks
Tash
Hello Tash,

I just tried opening a .cht file in a few graphics programs but no success I'm afraid. I've also had a look on-line and it would appear that there are half a dozen or so applications which use a file extension of .cht - but all of them are different actual file types.

It would appear that the file you have will probably only be able to be opened using Easychart.

Graham

NatashaBatsford
15-12-2008, 3:15 PM
Thanks for trying Graham, I really appreciate it

Tash

christopher_n_lewis
16-12-2008, 2:41 PM
Hi Tash

I have Generations, and could probably open your document and print it out, so long as there haven't been too many changes made to the program between versions. Let me know if you would like me to do this.

As has been said .cht is purely a graphics document, so can't be converted to GEDCOM.

Christopher