PDA

View Full Version : dixon isle of white (help)

stakes
06-02-2005, 4:34 PM
where do i start, my mother in law past away some years ago, her name was ethel mary dixon born 1936, up to now i have tried all the family and come up with nothing, all i know is she was born on the isle of white, and during the war was evacuated to the midlands, it is said that her parents were killed while she was in the midlands, so she was taken on by the family permenent, some one says that her mother was called mabel, but i cannot find anything anywere, can someone please help, julie

Geoffers
06-02-2005, 5:05 PM
where do i start, my mother in law past away some years ago, her name was ethel mary dixon born 1936....all i know is she was born on the isle of whiteDo you have her marriage certificate? This should show her father's name and occupation and also give her age at marriage, hopefully confirming the estimated year of birth. If you don't have this certificate, I would recommend that you obtain it.

Civil events (borth, marriage and death) have been recorded since 1837 by the General Register Office (GRO) who maintianed a quarterly index of events. One ndex for births, one for mariages and one for deaths. The March quarter covers, Jan, Feb + Mar. The June quarter covers Apri, May + Jun; etc. Names are arranged within the index, alphabetically by surname.

The index can be seen at the Family Records Centre (FRC) in London - at many local studies libraries around the country (it's been copied onto fiches) and also online at 1837 online which is a pay per view site.

The GRO index includes:

June quarter 1936
DIXON, Ethel M. - I.Wight - vol.2b page 984.
(I couldn't see another possible entry, but I would advise you should double-check to make sure that I haven't made a mistake).

Using this reference you can apply for a copy of the birth certificate online from the GRO at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Hope that helps. If the abvoe is as clear as mud, or you have other questions, please ask.

Geoffers

stakes
13-02-2005, 10:04 PM
thanks for info, i spoke to a aunt of my husbands, ethel dixon was born at newbridge near yarmouth, isle of white, her father was called sidney dixon and her mother was mabel cooke, she also said that mabels parents were called ann and andrew cooke, but because she was little when she was evacuated she does not know where they were born or what year they were born, she has know other information on sidney at all, where do i go from here, julie

Geoffers
13-02-2005, 11:38 PM
thanks for info, i spoke to a aunt of my husbands, ethel dixon was born at newbridge near yarmouth, isle of white, her father was called sidney dixon and her mother was mabel cooke, she also said that mabels parents were called ann and andrew cooke, but because she was little when she was evacuated she does not know where they were born or what year they were born, she has know other information on sidney at all, where do i go from here, julie
I'd suggest obtaining Ethel Dixon's birth certificate to begin with. This will confirm her date and place of birth. It will also provide you with her father's name and occupation and mother's name and maiden name.

With this information, it is then easier to search for the marriage certificate of the parents. The marriage certificate will give the parents' ages and their fathers' names and occupations. With that you can then begin to look for the parents' birth certificates - and once you get back to someone who was alive in 1901, you can search the relevant census returns.

If all this is as clear as mud, please ask and I'll try to clarify it for you.

Geoffers