PDA

View Full Version : Immigration / Shipping lists 1860 onwards

maisiem
13-12-2008, 1:57 PM
Stupidly, I got very exited when the shipping lists were recented scanned and made available on-line. I hadn't realised that they only related to destinations outside Europe! I am now in the situation where although I can find both branches of my father's family back to the 1871 census, there is no record of any of them living in England before this time. This would fit with the mass immigration from Europe which began in the 1860s but there is no one alive in my family who can give me any details about exactly where in Poland/Russia our ancestors came from. Therefore I consider myself well and truly stuck |banghead|

I would be most grateful if anyone could suggest a way forward (or back!). I can supply names, DOBs, wedding details etc etc. I have searched for surnames on various databases (including the JC) but to no avail.

Yours hopefully
Katharine

Elwyn Soutter
13-12-2008, 4:32 PM
Katharine,

Have you searched for wills for any of the first generation that settled in the UK? A will might contain a bequest for relatives abroad that would give a clue where the family may have come from.

Elwyn

maisiem
19-12-2008, 8:32 PM
No, I hadn;'t thought of that as I'd presumed that as they were so poor they probably had nothing to leave! Worth a go though.

Many thanks
Katharine

maisiem
16-01-2009, 11:59 PM
I've managed to find them all on the 1911 census which very helpfully gives the birth place for some of the family (and the men they married) as Lipner, Poland. Now, I can't find a place called Lipner (even looking back at old town names etc.) but there is town called Lipno. Any suggestions on how to proceed from here? I'd dearly love to know when they came here and where from and idealy go back another generation or two!

Any help gratefully received.

Kathy

christanel
17-01-2009, 4:07 AM
I've managed to find them all on the 1911 census which very helpfully gives the birth place for some of the family (and the men they married) as Lipner, Poland. Now, I can't find a place called Lipner (even looking back at old town names etc.) but there is town called Lipno. Any suggestions on how to proceed from here? I'd dearly love to know when they came here and where from and idealy go back another generation or two!

Any help gratefully received.

Kathy

I put BMD Poland in to google and this came up. I haven't looked at it.
http://www.archiwa.gov.pl/?CIDA=43
Then I entered genealogy Poland and this one came up.
www.polishroots.org/genpoland (http://www.polishroots.org/genpoland)

Christina