PDA

View Full Version : Doggett family

Chris Bass
06-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi,
I am new to this and am trying to find information about my great great grandfather Malachi Doggett who was born in 1842 or 1843 depending on which list you read. I think he lived in Oakington but not sure where he was born. I also think he married Hannah and had 5 children.

Trish
06-02-2005, 4:00 PM
Hi,
I am new to this and am trying to find information about my great great great grandfather Malachi Doggett who was born in 1842 or 1843 depending on which list you read. I think he lived in Oakington but not sure where he was born. I also think he married Hannah and had 5 children.Chris,

Malachi and Hannah and family are on the 1881 census which you can access via www.familysearch.org. It lists him as a gardener, born in Oakington about 1843. And I see him on the 1891 and 1901 censuses.

There's also a birth listing for Malachi DOGGETT in the civil registration index for Britain:
Doggett, Malachi 1842 September [quarter] Births Chesterton Cambridgeshire

Hope this helps. I will look for him on the 1871 census -- he's not showing up but probably because he's under a different spelling of either his first or last names.

Trish

Trish
06-02-2005, 4:07 PM
Chris,

Here's Malachi in 1871 mistranscribed as Mathchia [although spelling on the image looks right]:

Name Age / Birthplace / Relationship / Civil Parish / Occupation
Mathchia Doggett 28 Oakington, Cambridgeshire, England Head Coton Farmer Labourer
Hannah Doggett 29 Coton, Cambridgeshire, England Wife Coton
Esther Doggett 5 Coton, Cambridgeshire, England Daughter Coton Scholar
Charles Robert Doggett 3 Coton, Cambridgeshire, England Son Coton
Richard Doggett 9 months Coton, Cambridgeshire, England Son Coton
James Stocker 32 Sweversey, Cambridgeshire, England Lodger Coton Farmer Labourer

Source information: RG10/1584
Registration district: Chesterton
Sub-registration district: Great Shelford
ED, institution, or vessel: 9
Folio: 25
Page: 10
Household schedule number: 47

1891 to follow...

Trish

Trish
06-02-2005, 4:20 PM
Hi,
I am new to this and am trying to find information about my great great great grandfather Malachi Doggett who was born in 1842 or 1843 depending on which list you read. I think he lived in Oakington but not sure where he was born. I also think he married Hannah and had 5 children.Here's Malachi and Hannah in 1891, living at 4 Fletcher Terrace:

Name / Age / Birthplace / Relationship / Civil Parish / Occupation
Doggett, Hannah 48 Coton, Cambridgeshire Wife St Andrew the Less Gardener
Doggett, Malachi 47 Oakington, Cambridgeshire Head St Andrew the Less

Also at the same address is another DOGGETT family -- Henry DOGGETT, a coal porter and his wife Elizabeth along with their children, Thomas, 17, a gardener's labourer [Malachi's assistant?], John, an errand boy, 13, Sarah, 10, Ada, 8, William, 2 and Harriett, 4 months:

Source information: RG12/1285
Registration district: Cambridge
Sub registration district: St Andrew the Less
ED, institution, or vessel: 21
Folio: 36
Page: 25

Good luck with your research.

Trish

Chris Bass
06-02-2005, 4:59 PM
Hi Trish
Many thanks, this is my gg grandfather, 2 of the 3 children listed are on my own list and the 3rd i have as Robert i think (you have him as Charles Robert). The Richard is my g grandfather. I also have some ideas where to look things up now.
Chris

s.fitz
21-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Hello,

On my family tree I have an Amelia Dora Doggett who I know was born in Cambridgeshire on 21/09/1870. The Doggetts were Tailors by profession and all I know is that she moved to Ealing Common in the 1900' in service. I don't know if you can confirm any family connection as I have no other details on her at the moment although I am researching. If there is any connection perhaps we could compare notes. Contact me via my email address
Scott

Trish
21-05-2006, 2:18 PM
Hello,

On my family tree I have an Amelia Dora Doggett who I know was born in Cambridgeshire on 21/09/1870. The Doggetts were Tailors by profession and all I know is that she moved to Ealing Common in the 1900' in service. I don't know if you can confirm any family connection as I have no other details on her at the moment although I am researching. If there is any connection perhaps we could compare notes. Contact me via my email address [email protected]

ScottScott,

Amelia Dora DOGGETT is listed in the 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses. Parents are James and Emma DOGGETT. Amelia's birthplace is shown as Chesterton. In 1881, she's living in St. Andrew the Less with her family. So chances are that your DOGGETTs are connected to Chris's. Do you have all the above census info?

Regards,
Trish

Chris Bass
22-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi Scott,
I have no Amelia's in my direct line but I will check my full tree and see if I can find a connection. There were and still are a lot of Doggett's in Cambridge! My doggett's were originally farm labourers or gardeners.

Regards
Chris (nee Doggett)

s.fitz
19-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Sorry for the delay but since I've last was in contact I have had a breakthrough and understand that I am definitely some relation to Malachi Doggett etc. I would say if you are enlisted to genes reunited I would be willing to show you my tree as I am also in contact with other Doggett relation and my tree has boomed.

Regards, Scott