PDA

View Full Version : Family of Canon Pyon

BrassPlayer
12-12-2008, 7:32 PM
Hi everybody. I look forward to many enjoyable hours on what looks like a very helpful site. I am quite new to family history research and would appreciate any help. I am interested in learning more about my Canon Pyon connections. James and Elizabeth Jones lived in Canon Pyon at least until 1901. The Jones family included a George, a Rosetta and a Catherine, plus possibly another seven or so children. I believe they lived in Ebnal? Can anyone help please. I also know that Elizabeth Jones' parents came from Colver in Radnorshire/Powys and they were called John and Anne Davies.
Many thanks.
BrassPlayer

Jan1954
12-12-2008, 8:04 PM
Hello Brassplayer - welcome to Brit-Gen,

What do you already have about your Canon Pyon Joneses? Do you have them in the censuses? If not, post a few more clues, like approximate years of birth, and then we can have a rummage for them.

Oh yes - have you seen what GENUKI has to say about Canon Pyon (http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/HEF/CanonPyon/contents.html)? Click the different links within the page.

radnor2
15-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Ebnal is probably Ednol. It is near New Radnor but is hardly a place now, there is a ruined chapel there. The records would probably be in Powys Archives in Llandrindod Wells.
As would Colva. Colva is a tiny remote settlement near Gladestry and is in the New Radnor Group of parishes it has a gem of a church reputed to be the highest in Wales.

SBSFamilyhistory
17-12-2008, 9:17 AM
could this be the family on the 1901 census?

Piece: 2494; Folio: 9; Page: 9.

Sue

Al et al
26-01-2009, 9:49 AM
Gidday,

I am researching two canon pyon links:

1. Elizabeth? of CP m. william lloyd b.1845 ivington
2. James reynolds b.1849 CP m. caroline walton b c1850 CP

Do these names mean anything to anyone? I am aware that I am clutching at straws with #1

Many thanks, Alisan

janbooth
26-01-2009, 12:09 PM
There is a marriage registration on FreeBMD in the June qtr 1869 at Weobley reg district (includes Canon Pyon), vol 6a, page 901 of a William Lloyd and one of the other names on the page is that of an Elizabeth Jones. This fits in very well with the birth of first child Rosetta and with the 1871 census entry for them in Birley:

RG10/27078, folio 42, page 5
Knapton

William LLOYD Head Mar 26 Agl Labourer Herefordre Leominster
Elizabeth do Wife Mar 27 do do Canon Pyon
Rosetta do Daur 8 months do Birley
Martha JONES Grandmother W 86 do Sutton?

and Elizabeth JONES looks as if she is living with grandmother Martha in the 1851 census of Canon Pyon (HO107/1979, folio 362, page 11). Obtaining the marriage certificate of William & Elizabeth (available to purchase online at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/) should give you details enabling you to track them back.

Similarly, the marriage registration for James & Caroline is recorded as being in the September qtr 1872 at Weobley reg district, vol 6a, page 873. This will give you details of the fathers name & profession for both bride and groom which should enable you to tie in census details.

This looks as if it could be Caroline in the 1851 census of Canon Pyon:

HO107/1979, folio 359, page 5
Westhope Village

James WALTON Head Mar 30 Shoemaker Hereford Ailwyn
Mary do Wife Mar 35 do do
Chas do Son 7 Scholar do Canon Pyon
Caroline do Daur 1 do do

And this could be James in the 1851 of Canon Pyon:

HO107/1979, folio 363, page 13
Westhope Hill

James REYNOLDS Head Mar 29 Sawyer Hereford Canon Pyon
Mary do Wife Mar 29 do Bodisham