PDA

View Full Version : Valentine/Volantine: England to New Brunswick

Inez Reed
12-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Need information regarding the possible origins of a William Volantine who was born in England between 1805 and 1807. He emigrated to Charlotte County, NB in 1821. He married Jane (McFarlane?) by about 1825. William listed in the tax assessments of St. Patrick Parish, NB during this period along with one other Volantine (also spelled Valintine)in 1831 and a William Senior and William Junior in 1846. It is unknown the relationship to this William.

Would anyone be researching this particular family or have any guesses about the family in England? The earliest known Valentine in Charlotte was a George Valentine who filed a Land Petition in 1785. Again, it is not known if my William was related to this George. There is no listing for a George Valentine associated with any of the Loyalists from that period.

Best wishes

Inez

greann
30-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi Inez,
From what I can see, it seems that William Valentine Sr. and W. Valantine Jr. are a different family all together from yours. It looks like W. Valantine Sr. was born in Ireland.
Ann

greann
30-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Inez,
If you look at www.familysearch.org there is a total of 27 births for William Valentine between 1804 and 1808 in England.
Ann

Inez Reed
31-12-2008, 2:51 PM
The oral tradition of Ann C. Valentine's origins are at odds with the census material. However, given the odd spelling, I believe all of the Valentines in St. Patrick Parish were related to this William. It was my understanding that Valentine, in England, is a somewhat rare surname and my be associated with French protestants.

I've been through the IGI and all of the UK census data can be discounted. The 1881 and 1880 census for Canada and the US post date his death. He died in Washington County, Maine by about 1871. The last census he appears in is the 1870 US census.

The other Valentine family was located in St. Andrews. The spelling of that name is far more conservative. Ostensibly they were Irish.

Inez