PDA

View Full Version : The Court System in late Victorian times

k0065126
06-02-2005, 10:15 AM
The sister of my great grandmother died in 1891. Her husband was tried for murder, found guilty and hanged, and I am trying to find in which court the trial was held.

Hannah and Harry Dainton lived in Bath, which had a County Court at that time, and Harry died in Shepton Mallet (Somerset) Gaol. Would the trial have taken place in a County Court? If not then possibly it could have been held in Bristol.

Other suggestions I have been given are that the court could have been in Shepton Mallet or Wells, or possibly even Taunton.

My last possibility is that it was held at the Old Bailey, but the online records do not go up to 1891 at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Viv

Geoffers
06-02-2005, 4:03 PM
The sister of my great grandmother died in 1891. Her husband was tried for murder, found guilty and hanged, and I am trying to find in which court the trial was held. Hannah and Harry Dainton lived in Bath, which had a County Court at that time, and Harry died in Shepton Mallet (Somerset) Gaol. Would the trial have taken place in a County Court? If not then possibly it could have been held in Bristol.
If you have the date of execution, then I'd suggest first trying local newspapers to see what detail they hold.

Also, ask contact the County Record Office to see if they hold any records relating to criminal trials/prisons.

Most serious crimes were tried in Assizes, those for the Western Circuit are held at The National Archvies in Kew, the Indictments being in ASSI25, Criminal Depositions and Case Papers in ASSI26.

TNA's website http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ has leaflets giving guidance on assize records. From teh home page (URL above), move your cursor over 'Getting Started' in the red bar near the top of the screen. You'll see a drop-down menu , near the bottom of the menu is a link which you should select 'Index to research guides' this will then list the counties and have links to various records and their scope.

Geoffers

k0065126
07-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Geoffers,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I hope to go to the Colindale on Friday to look in the British Library's Newspaper Collection. Unfortunately one paper I wanted to look at is deemed unfit for use.

I had not thought about looking in TNA, but will visit the local record offices to see what they may hold.

As the trial would have been held in the local Assize court then Bristol is the most likely venue as Bath does not seem to have had a more senior court than the County Court and it is unlikely that the smaller towns in Somerset would have had an Assizes either.

This does give me more avenues to explore so thanks again.

Viv

Ladkyis
07-02-2005, 3:26 PM
My understanding of Assize Courts is that they were held in the town hall or equivalent in the county town. as several counties made up a circuit for the Judges. now I could be mixing this with quarter sessions but I think they had the same circuits.
I live in a county that was in one country but belonged to the circuit in another.
that's why I sound confused.

Ann

Ladkyis
07-02-2005, 4:30 PM
I googled assizes and there are loads of sites out there that explain about the circuits and the type of criminal cases they tried. Three of the ones I looked at said that the Assize records are held at TNA - like Geoffers said - so now I am off to take a look at the leaflets

Ann