PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Gaunts

Sue Simonich
09-12-2008, 5:25 PM
Hello: :confused:

I have been doing some research and have run across a number of terms that I am unfamiliar with. Master of the Gaunts is one of them. Can anyone give me an idea what it means? This line is armigerous and next to this entry it speaks of a John Newburgh who was an armiger. My speculative mind says that this "master of the gaunts" might have something to do arranging jousts, or perhaps equipment of the knights. Does anyone out there have the truth?

v.wells
09-12-2008, 5:32 PM
The Society for Creative Anachronism (I hope I spelled it right) re-enact Medieval Times. Perhaps someone, and I know there is a member on the forum, who would be able to tell you more. Have you just plain googled the term?

Geoffers
09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
I have been doing some research and have run across a number of terms that I am unfamiliar with. Master of the Gaunts is one of them. Can anyone give me an idea what it means? This line is armigerous and next to this entry it speaks of a John Newburgh who was an armiger.

What period are you referring to?

Where have you found the references? (Original document or transcript?) - What is the context in which the term was used?

If this is an heraldic term, the College of Arms (http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/)might be a good place to enquire

Sue Simonich
10-12-2008, 9:25 PM
Thanks for the answers. The time frame is around 1513 and appears in the will of John Newberry of Berkeley, co. Somerset, as follows:

Will of Thomas Newburgh, dated March 10, 1512/13 of Berkley Manor, Somersetshire, England. ~ Proved May 4, 1513 by Alice Newborowgh, relict and executrix. ~ To be buried in our Lady Chapel at the Gaunts by Bristowe under the direction of my wife Alice, my sole executrix, and my overseer, Sir Thomas Tylar, master of the Gaunts. To our mother church of Worcester. . . ~ Witnesses: Thomas Tylar, master of the Gaunts; John Newborowgh, armiger; William Halte, priest.
etc.

I haven't tried the College of Arms, but will do just that. Thank you |idea| for the idea. I also wondered if it had a religious definition. We need a professor of English history as a go to on the forums.

Oh, and yes, I have googled the dickens out of it. The Internet is a wonderful tool, but alas, it doesn't know everything. :D

v.wells
10-12-2008, 10:19 PM
It sounds like Sir Tylar is the owner of a place called Gaunts at Bristowe, Somerset? Just my opinion unless someone can think of another alternative.

Geoffers
11-12-2008, 9:36 AM
Will of Thomas Newburgh, dated March 10, 1512/13 of Berkley Manor, Somersetshire, England. ~ Proved May 4, 1513 by Alice Newborowgh, relict and executrix. ~ To be buried in our Lady Chapel at the Gaunts by Bristowe under the direction of my wife Alice, my sole executrix, and my overseer, Sir Thomas Tylar, master of the Gaunts.

Bristow(e) is the original name for Bristol.

Gaunts by Bristowe refers to a place called Gaunt which is near Bristol

Access to Archives (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/)has various references to Gaunt(s) (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/results.aspx?tab=2&Page=1&ContainAllWords=gaunts&Region=South+West+Region&Repository=Bristol+Record+Office) at Bristol Record Office - these include Stockland Gaunt and Gaunts Earthcott, which were acquired by the City Corporation.

Use an online map an you can find Gaunt's Earthcott (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idmap.srf?x=363500&y=184500&z=120&sv=gaunt's+earthcott&st=3&tl=Map+of+Gaunt's+Earthcott,+South+Gloucestershire +[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=idmap.srf) just north of the city of Bristol. It is not far from Berkely, Gloucesterhire - but is rather a long way from Berkley, Somerset.

Stockland Gaunt(s) is more problematic; but use a search engine for "Stockland Gaunt British History Online" gives some clues from which a search of an online map shows a place called Stockland Bristol (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idmap.srf?x=324500&y=143500&z=120&sv=stockland+bristol&st=3&tl=Map+of+Stockland+Bristol,+Somerset+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=idmap.srf) in Somerset which is the same county as Berkley.

Searching Access to Archives for 'Stockland Gaunt' in the South West region brings back hits, which (with the entry in British History online) seem to point towards the 'Gaunts by Bristowe' now being 'Stockland Bristol' in Somerset. The Gaunt part of the placename is probably derived from a personal name and may have been applied to more than one manor - hence the plural 'Gaunts'.

Thomas Tylar is described as Master of the Gaunts - this is presumably a local title for the man who is also referred to as the Overseer (of estates or Manors called the Gaunts); which may more accurately reflect his position.

I don't know the area, so the above may not be accurate - I'd stand to be corrected by someone with better local knowledge; but it would seem to be a reasonable interpretation which is a starting point for tryig to tie down specific information about these people. Greater detail may be given in the will, or may possibly be located in other documents such as surveys and subisidies (If records survive for this area, the survey and muster of 1522 might be a good place to look, otherwise the 1524 subsidy as a result of the survey); inquistions post mortem, possibly fines and recoveries or manorial records, etc.

JenniLl
11-12-2008, 8:01 PM
I had a look on the net and found Gaunt's Hospital aka The Hospital of St Mark, Billeswick, Thomas Tyler was Master in 1486. (Google Gaunt's Hospital and you will find a link British History Online)

Jenni :)

Sue Simonich
16-12-2008, 3:51 PM
Thanks to all of you for your wonderful responses. There have been a lot of assumptions based upon the word "gaunts" (i.e. gauntlets, armigerous definitions) but it appears those assumptions may be erroneous. This is fascinating and seems to be coming together. With Jenni's last response, "The Hospital of St Mark, Billeswick, Thomas Tyler was Master in 1486," it lends fuel to the idea that the Gaunts could possibly have been a larger village or town with a manor. If so, that notion would join hands with the comments below sent to me by another friend and colleague.

Regarding hospitals, I was surprised to know that such institutions were available at such an early date. Do you all think that hospitals were likely only accessible by folks of means?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sue
I looked at the thread. I should have asked the context! It's a good question.

Gaunts is a place in Bristol. http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/Where/#G

"Master of the Gaunts" meant he owned the house called The Gaunts. Probably a big property with lots of land, like the estates at Bindon and Lulworth Castle.

Try surfing "Gaunts Bristol". You'll get property ad's. There's a Gaunts Road - probably where the property was.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|biggrin||biggrin||hug| |wave|

I enjoy the forums and people who enjoy discussion and exploration. Thanks to all.

Explorer of the Knights
Sue

JenniLl
16-12-2008, 5:20 PM
"Maurice de Gaunt, great grandson of Robert Fitzharding built an almonry in Billeswick and entrusted the administration of his charity to the monastery of St Augustine's, Bristol. On condition of ................. , the abbot undertook to feed one hundred poor people in the almonry each day and to maintain a chaplain. Maurice de Gaunt provided a permanent endowment for the almonry, consisting of the manor of Paulet in Somersetshire, and several mills, and rents in Bristol. ............................ Robert de Gurney made the hospital a separate foundation, independent of the monastery of St Augustine, with a master and three chaplains as a governing body. ......"

The paper goes onto say that there were disputes between the abbot and the hospital but that a settlement was effected in 1251. The Hospital was a religious house.
The brethren bore on their habits the sign of the hospital, a white cross, and beneath it a red shield with three white geese.
12 scholars were to admitted or discharged at the will of the master. The scholars were to be present at services and to wear black copes and surplices.
The hospital acquired land and possessions through both gifts and purchases.

There are details of land and property as well as the political goings on at various times. They held; Erdcote Gaunts and Lee in Gloucestershire. Stokeland Gaunts, Overstowey, and Poulet in Somersetshire and Winterbourne Gunner in Wiltshire.

Finally, the site and greater part of the possessions were sold to the mayor and corporation of Bristol in 1541.

To me it seems that the Master of the Gaunts and Master of the Hospital of St Mark are one.

My apologies that this is so long - I have abbreviated it considerably!!

JenniLl
16-12-2008, 5:30 PM
An addition!

The hospital was subject to the Bishop of Worcester and they had the right to "free burial within their walls".

I do not know what Sue was originally reading - but all this information about St Marks is fascinating.

Jenni

Sue Simonich
17-12-2008, 6:51 PM
Jenni: The information that you have posted is most interesting. A picture is coming together, and it is not what I expected. Philanthropy, as opposed to knighthood, is emerging from this discussion.

I am studying the de Newburgh/Newburgh etc. family, who were originally part of the Norman invasion of England. They were the first Earls of Warwick - for six generations, then it passed to another family name. Incidentally, Warwick Castle is absolutely amazing.

There were a number of knighthoods bestowed upon this family. The information on the Gaunts, was from an old inquisition post mortem. Here is a little more of it.

"Will of Thomas Newburgh, dated March 10, 1512/13 of Berkley Manor, Somersetshire, England. ~ Proved May 4, 1513 by Alice Newborowgh, relict and executrix. ~ To be buried in our Lady Chapel at the Gaunts by Bristowe under the direction of my wife Alice, my sole executrix, and my overseer, Sir Thomas Tylar, master of the Gaunts. To our mother church of Worcester. To each priest saying masses for me. My lands in Mottecoombe and Gyllynggam to my son Cristofer for life, with remainder to my heir. My lands in Wantage to my son Thomas for life, with remainder to my heir. My wife Alice to be executrix; but if she die before me, then Lady Trapnell to be my executrix. ~ Witnesses: Thomas Tylar, master of the Gaunts; John Newborowgh, armiger; William Halte, priest." from J. Gardner Bartlett.

I would be grateful for any other comments or conclusions readers might draw from this, as I am a neophyte when it comes to English history.

One thing I am curious about is hospitals in that day and age. I would have thought that most sick people would have been attended to in the home rather than a hospital. I also wonder if hospitals had a different connotation than what we assume them to be in these modern times. Were hospitals only for those who possessed wealth or were from an armigerous family? Were the sick people attended to by nuns/nurses as opposed to physicians? The reason I ask this is because of the Catholic hospitals in our last century were largely run by orders of nuns here in the U.S. Of course, there were physicians, but back in the 1500's I was under the impression that most medicine practiced was folk medicine i.e. herbal concoctions, blood letting and the like.

Any new and authoritative information is always exciting for me.

Cheers,
Sue |jumphappy

Geoffers
17-12-2008, 8:38 PM
One thing I am curious about is hospitals in that day and age. I would have thought that most sick people would have been attended to in the home rather than a hospital. I also wonder if hospitals had a different connotation than what we assume them to be in these modern times.

Hospitals in this period were charitable institutions, for the most part attached to religious houses and the care provided by the respective members of them. A good deal of the care and daily life revolved around prayer and religious services; especially in hospices where the residents prayed for the souls of the benefcators on whose charity they relied. Many of the monastic hospitals disappeared with the dissolution of the monasteries.

JenniLl
17-12-2008, 10:47 PM
The hospital did take genteel boarders from the 16th century - including women. It would have been another source of income. Cromwell's commissioners tried to stop the inclusion of women, but one (?feisty) lady called Lady Jane Guildford appealed to Cromwell himself for reinstatement.

In 1534 the master and brethren accepted the royal supremacy and in 1539 they surrendered the house to Cromwell's commissioners. The master and his fellow brethren receiving small pensions. Finally the hospital going into the possession of Bristol corporation.

A lot of very interesting information - I feel a trip to Bristol coming on, after Christmas!

Ladkyis
17-12-2008, 11:10 PM
The cromwell spoken off here was of course Thomas Cromwell, the right hand man of HenryV111 who was, at that time wielding the King's law in order to bring about the disolution of the monasteries. This is why the hospital would have been separated from the Augustine house and Bristol city corporation bought it.

JenniLl
17-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Further news, the chapel to the hospital of St Mark is now the Mayor's Chapel.

If you google Mayor's Chapel, Bristol there is a picture. The church is just about opposite the Cathedral.

Jenni

Sue Simonich
18-12-2008, 6:34 AM
I did a little more searching, and if anyone is interested, check out this google book about Mayors Chapel. It has quite the history. Page 40 forward is quite interesting and pertains to our discussion. Thomas Tyler was a brother of the monastery.

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=wl0BAAAAYAAJ&dq=Mayors+Chapel,+Bristol&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=VQnC3_Wzgn&sig=yw8lCKtOzGWxYi36WYvnFOuxKVQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#PPA40,M1

Thanks to all who have contributed to this. We now know what MASTER OF THE GAUNTS means! One should never assume, based upon modern meanings of words. I have so enjoyed this discussion. Thanks to all! |hug|

Smiles,
Sue

Ladkyis
18-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Thank you for asking, we have all learnt something from this

Sue Simonich
21-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi fellow researchers!

I know this is an old topic, but I just found some new information that I thought was relevant to this thread. If you will remember we were wondering what master of the Gaunts was. We figured out that Gaunts was a hospital, and the master of it must have been like an administrator. Well now I find out that in the medieval period a "hospital" did not have the same definition that it has today.

It is actually a place of hospitality! Here is an interesting video about Warwick Castle that explains about how this worked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9zwXB9fZDU There must have been a hospital in many of the main towns.

|jumphappy

Enjoy.

Sue Simonich
21-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Silly me, I forgot to also say that these hospitals were used as old soldiers homes.

Sue Simonich
25-05-2009, 1:55 AM
I keep running onto things articles that have to do with "Gaunts" Apparently the Gaunts were a powerful family in 12th century England.

http://www.archive.org/stream/memoirsillustrat01royauoft/memoirsillustrat01royauoft_djvu.txt

HOLY TRINITY PRIORY, YORK. 58 - go to this page to see more of interest.