PDA

View Full Version : obituaries yorkshire 1830

tracy thomas
09-12-2008, 1:55 PM
looking for a death in yorkshire newspaper 1830ish beverley area can anyone help me find the newspaper it would most likely to have been in thank you

Sue Mackay
09-12-2008, 3:46 PM
Driffield is in Gloucestershire, isn't it? Gloucestershire Libraries (http://www.libraries.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=10789)seem to give free access to their members in the Times Digital Archive but sadly not yet to the Gale Group 19th Century Newspaper Archive. A larger city near you might have access. The following papers are included in the database:
Leeds Mercury
Northern Echo
Northern Star

Some of our Yorkshire members might be able to give you the name and address of a more local paper to Beverley. You could then write to them.

tracy thomas
09-12-2008, 5:29 PM
hi beverley is near hull and cottingham, thanks for your reply how do i write to yorkshire members regards

Sue Mackay
09-12-2008, 5:44 PM
hi beverley is near hull and cottingham, thanks for your reply how do i write to yorkshire members regards

Sorry, my cold seems to be interfering with my ability to write a proper sentence. I meant that some of the B-G members who read this and live in Yorkshire might be able to post the name and address of the local Beverley paper here. You could then write a letter to the paper asking for information.

You might find some leads here (http://www.world-newspapers.com/yorkshire.html) but I don't know which ones go back as far as 1830.

arthurk
09-12-2008, 8:22 PM
Sue - what have you been taking for your cold |5cups| (and how much did you have? ;)) Driffield is in the East Riding, so Gloucestershire libraries won't be much help. However, the link you gave should help Tracy contact a current local paper.

Tracy - for historical papers, see the Newsplan page for Yorkshire and the Humber - here (http://www.yli.org.uk/newsplan/index.htm). According to a book I have there weren't any local papers in the East Riding in 1830 apart from Hull, where there were quite a lot. So your best bet might be local studies libraries in Hull or Beverley - but see what the Newsplan site says, as I didn't explore beyond the front page.

Arthur
(originally from Yorkshire, and not too impressed when people try to take bits of it down south :D)

Jan1954
09-12-2008, 8:28 PM
Sue - what have you been taking for your cold |5cups| (and how much did you have? ;)) Driffield is in the East Riding, so Gloucestershire libraries won't be much help. To be fair, there is a Driffield in Gloucestershire (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/Driffield/) as well. :)

Arthur
(originally from Yorkshire, and not too impressed when people try to take bits of it down south :D)

Looks like they have done it already. :D

Sue Mackay
09-12-2008, 8:38 PM
Arthur

Yes, as soon as I saw the list of Yorkshire papers I noticed a Driffield. All I can say is, blame Bartholomew's Road Atlas of Britain, which was the easiest thing I had to hand. I went back and checked and the only Driffield in its index is in Gloucestershire!

arthurk
09-12-2008, 8:40 PM
|oopsredfa Well, well, never knew that. Over to Tracy, I think, to tell us which one she's in (if she wants to), and whether we've helped her at all.

Arthur
(crawling back under stone)

arthurk
09-12-2008, 8:42 PM
Yes, as soon as I saw the list of Yorkshire papers I noticed a Driffield. All I can say is, blame Bartholomew's Road Atlas of Britain, which was the easiest thing I had to hand. I went back and checked and the only Driffield in its index is in Gloucestershire!

Sometimes you'll find it as Great Driffield, but I don't think anyone calls it that.

Arthur

Sue Mackay
09-12-2008, 9:21 PM
Sometimes you'll find it as Great Driffield, but I don't think anyone calls it that.

Arthur

Ah yes, Bartholomew's thinks it's great ;)

tracy thomas
10-12-2008, 9:40 AM
thanks to you all. for your help im just about to have a look at the sites of newspapers,especially beverley and hull area as all or most of my ancestors past and present came from these areas including my self . driffield is were i live not were i was born. although there maybe some ties with family members who knows , especially driffield canal because my farthers side of the family were watermen and boatpeople///familys / i think this is a lovely site and been a bit of an amature there is some wounderful members on here and i am a little slow some times so i do apologise kind regards to you all

arthurk
10-12-2008, 8:06 PM
You're welcome - take your time and just ask away when you're ready.

Arthur