PDA

View Full Version : Stuck before I start...

esslw
08-12-2008, 9:42 PM
I'm trying to find an Edward Thomas Williams in Wales... I'm a total newbie and have just whizzed through £15 in credits trying to find him in the 1901 census (took me only minutes to spend it!!). I suspect I've been working though the census rather randomly and my results have been way off the mark as a result.

Perhaps someone could provide me with some advice as to how to go about this kind of search? Do you just keep buying credits until you've gone through all the likely candidates?!

The information that I have at the moment is:

Edward Thomas Williams (c'1896 - c'1930). He married Frances Crean on 27/12/1921 and lived in Cwmbran in S. Wales at the time of his death (which may have been on 2/10/1930).

He fought in WW1 and worked down the mines in S. Wales.

His parents were John Williams (d. c'1940) and Louisa Shepherd (c'1863 - c'1934). I believe he had siblings by the name of William, Thomas, Edgar, Doris, Trevor and Agnes.

I'm especially keen to find out about his war efforts, but since I haven't even worked out where he was born yet, I suspect I may be trying to run before I can walk!!

Your advice would be gratefully received - where on earth should I start? |help|(BTW: I have ordered the marriage certificate already).

Astoria
08-12-2008, 9:49 PM
A warm welcome from me, and a bit of advice. There is a lot of free stuff out there.

Sue Mackay
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
If you go to http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ and work with what you know you can build up information and spend your money on certificates, which will be far more productive than credits on census sites. Your local library probably has free access to Ancestry, where you can search the census returns for free.

FreeBMD brings up the marriage of John WILLIAMS to Louisa Caroline SHEPHERD September quarter 1894 Registration District Cardiff vol 11a page 588. This is all the info you need to order the certificate from the GRO (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/)

PS I should try looking for Edgar or Doris. Siblings with slightly less common first names can be a Godsend in Wales!

Wirral
08-12-2008, 10:17 PM
FreeBMD brings up the marriage of John WILLIAMS to Louisa Caroline SHEPHERD September quarter 1894 vol 11a page 588. This is all the info you need to order the certificate from the GRO (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/)
The registration district might be handy.;)

Rubina
08-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi esslw!

You could also try here for free searches!

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0

As Sue says, I always check for as near a match as possible before I use any credits up!

Happy hunting!

Rubina

Sue Mackay
08-12-2008, 10:26 PM
The registration district might be handy.;)

Oops :o I've got a cold!

It's Cardiff. Have amended the post above so it's all in one place.

Rubina
08-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi

I have had a quick look on the 1901 cencus but there are Williams' coming out of your ears! No chance without approximate birthdates which the Marriage certs will give you!

Come back if you need more help - so exciting for you to be at the start of your research!

Rubina

esslw
09-12-2008, 4:13 PM
I don't know about 'exciting' - it feels more overwhelming at the moment!!

It appears that I'm not very good at this kind of research. I thought I'd have a stab at finding Edgar - more unusual name and also (crucially!) I have dates for him (6/1/1898 - 29/7/1957). Admittedly, I didn't find these dates myself and I haven't purchased certificates to validate them. Nevertheless, I took a look at the 1901 census which shows only about 14 Edgar's with a YOB as 1898... and subsequently blew another £5 worth of credits - still with no success! |banghead|

I did have a look at the free bmd site that was suggested - but I still get lots and lots of Williams' with no way of working out which one is mine! (Which is why I'm relying so heavily on the 1901 census - at least I can tell if it's my 'Williams' based on the family relationships).

Perhaps the answer is to move into the local library and use their resources!!

Izzycat
18-12-2008, 8:25 PM
Hi Esslw

Is this your family in the 1901 census? They are in Llantarnam, [I think that's what it says, it's a little difficult to read] part of Cwmbran.

John Williams head age 38 coal miner underground born Wrexham
Mary Williams wife age 36 born Corncally, Monmouthshire
Eliza? Williams daur age 14
William Williams son age 11
Eder? Williams daur age 9
Tom Williams son age 7
Eleanor Williams daur 5
Edgar Williams son 3
Doris May Williams 1

RG 13 / 4966 / Folio 14 / schedule 9

Procat
19-12-2008, 6:05 AM
Nevertheless, I took a look at the 1901 census which shows only about 14 Edgar's with a YOB as 1898... and subsequently blew another £5 worth of credits - still with no success! |banghead|

Perhaps the answer is to move into the local library and use their resources!!

Take out a free 14 day trial with Ancestry or similar if they offer it - or at the rate you are going through the money perhaps a one month subscription?

esslw
19-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi Esslw

Is this your family in the 1901 census? They are in Llantarnam, [I think that's what it says, it's a little difficult to read] part of Cwmbran.

John Williams head age 38 coal miner underground born Wrexham
Mary Williams wife age 36 born Corncally, Monmouthshire
Eliza? Williams daur age 14
William Williams son age 11
Eder? Williams daur age 9
Tom Williams son age 7
Eleanor Williams daur 5
Edgar Williams son 3
Doris May Williams 1

RG 13 / 4966 / Folio 14 / schedule 9

Yes I think it is - another very kind researcher has tracked this down for me... I think they were listed as Wolliame (rather than Williams) which is why I couldn't find them with my meagre researching skills!

She sent me a copy of the original document and it looks like Eleanor Williams (dau) may be an error. The name is overwritten (and it looks like 'Edward' could have been written underneath Eleanor). I assume that Edward was first recorded as a daughter and then the name was edited to fit the gender at a later date!!

Izzycat
19-12-2008, 8:50 PM
I would think Tom is Edward Thomas but entered as he was known, i.e. Tom. Eleanor doesn't seem to be an error, it looks like the enumerator made some errors when entering up the family but he has corrected it. There are several Eleanor WILLIAMS born in 1895 / 1896 which could fit Eleanor's age in the census.

esslw
20-12-2008, 8:05 PM
I would think Tom is Edward Thomas but entered as he was known, i.e. Tom. Eleanor doesn't seem to be an error, it looks like the enumerator made some errors when entering up the family but he has corrected it. There are several Eleanor WILLIAMS born in 1895 / 1896 which could fit Eleanor's age in the census.

No, I don't think that can be right as I believe that my Grandfather (Edward) had an older brother called Thomas. Also, with help from other people on this forum I have tracked down a likely birth index on FreeBMD as follows:

Apr -June Quater of 1896
Williams Edward Thomas Newport, M. 11a 251

which would also tie in with a death index on FreeBMD

Oct - Dec Quater of 1930
Williams Edward T 34 Newport M 11a 257

...the age would tie in with the birth being c1896.

I've ordered these certificates to see if I can confirm it - keeping my fingers crossed now!!