PDA

View Full Version : John & Mary Cornish city missioners

sandiep
05-02-2005, 9:31 PM
My great Great Grandparents were Mary Petherbridge born 1819 in Ashburton Devon and John Cornish born c1815 in St Germains cornwall.
they married on 12/07/1841 in London and all I know of Johns parents is on this certificate it says father Samuel Cornish Shoemaker. I would love to find out some more on him. they had at least 4 children possibly 5
4 definate are Ebeneezer Petherbridge cornish 15/12/1854 at greenwich kent
Percy Howard Cornish born c1859 greenwich
sarah cornish born c1845 Ashburton devon
Mary cornish born c1843 Pimlico
possible John Cornish born c1855 St pancras

love to here from anyone conected or who could tell me anymore of Johns parentage

sandie

Diane Grant-Salmon
06-02-2005, 9:38 AM
You can search for Samuel CORNISH in the 1841 Census here:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~kayhin/cocp.html#c1841

and you can buy St. Germans Baptisms on CD for years 1720-1840 from this site:

http://www.parishchest.com/

Click on Cornwall in left hand menu, then Cornish Forefathers and Parish Records F-K.
Good Luck!

Diane Grant-Salmon
06-02-2005, 9:58 AM
I've just had a look at my 1861 Census for Cornwall, but the oldest Samuel Cornish is 65 years old, so he is too young to be 'yours'.

I think your best option is to buy the CD and then you should find John's baptism and possible siblings, plus the forename of his Mother.

sandiep
06-02-2005, 4:23 PM
thanks diane,

I will off and dust off the credit cards!!

still love to hear from any rellies

sandie

mfhearn
10-02-2005, 9:22 PM
try roger cornish of the society of the name of cornish will get if you want mary

sandiep
11-02-2005, 8:40 PM
yes I know Roger in fact I am a member of society, and roger has given me lots from 1837 onwards but its going back from then I am having problems with guess a trip to cornwall sometime is needed sandie

sandiep
30-12-2007, 7:45 PM
Hi Bo Peep

forgot all about this thread suppose I should have closed it, thanks for info though.

I have since been very lucky and found a lot about John & his family..........he went to London cos he got religion and became a city missioner and recently the society has snt me an 8 page obitury all about him.............I also after finding his death cert got from the Bethlem Museum his records of his sojourn in the hospital where unfortunatly he hung himself.....................the obit tells me why he was the missioner for Greenwich Hospital and when it closed he was so upset and the district he was then given was so poor he felt so helpless because he couldnt help them he went into depression.

sandie