PDA

View Full Version : The Scotsman Digital On-line

Rubina
06-12-2008, 3:45 PM
Link removed - "leaked" link

I came across this accidently, this morning and it makes fascinating searching even if you don't have any Scottish ancestors!

It is free to access and I haven't even registered yet!

I found couple of interesting articles that are specific to Lochburn House (a Girls Industrial School as it called itself) (slave labour in the laundry more like!).

Robina

Marie C..
06-12-2008, 3:51 PM
The first issue of The Scotsman 25 Jan 1817 and the english is beautiful. No spelling mistakes in the page that I read(how can one make the print a bit bigger?) but it cost 10d, nearly a shilling. Surely that was a lot of money then?M

Rubina
06-12-2008, 3:57 PM
Oh and there were some articles as well about the law on marrying the wife's sister that has been discussed on here recently.

Apparently, it was agreed that this was okay in the colonies but not here - what an outcry!

I just put in marriage and loads of interesting stuff comes up!

Rubina
06-12-2008, 4:07 PM
The first issue of The Scotsman 25 Jan 1817 and the english is beautiful. No spelling mistakes in the page that I read(how can one make the print a bit bigger?) but it cost 10d, nearly a shilling. Surely that was a lot of money then?M

Hi Marie

If you look at a whole page it is really small to read but if you type in keywords at the top of the page if fetches up loads of instances ie marriage (one article I read was of an Armenia Priest who refused to allow a bride to marry as she was "enciente"!! Very delicately put by the reported I thought!

When you click on an example it opens up just that article and in larger type.

Robina

Marie C..
06-12-2008, 4:13 PM
Oh Rubina,
I am in throes of doing out my bedroom and you give us this lovely link and now the bedroom will have to stay in disarray.
Just been reading about Lucy Gould age 21 who was sentenced to death in Dovercourt Essex in 189something for murdering her baby boy. She was let down by her master in Hamburg(father of the baby?) and came to England but she was poor and ashamed and so threw the baby over the bridge. The jury recommended mercy. I hope she didn't hang. M
Thanks Rubina I see it does now.

Marie C..
06-12-2008, 4:24 PM
Can you fix this link Rubina so we can come back to it?
Did you see the bit on the clearances in Sutherland in Strathnaver between 1814 and 1819... terrible.M

Rubina
06-12-2008, 4:31 PM
Can you fix this link Rubina so we can come back to it?
Did you see the bit on the clearances in Sutherland in Strathnaver between 1814 and 1819... terrible.M

It would be great if it could be fixed - I am always struggling to find stuff I've found interesting before - you won't believe how many bookmarks I have!

Trouble is - I don't have a clue how to do that!

Can one of the Mods do it for me please? Or tell me how? But I wouldn't want to go around fixing all sorts of stuff unless the mods approved - they frighten me! And I like my tag just now!

Thanks for clue about the clearances. I wanted to read about them as I had relatives in Perthshire at the time and I am not sure if it affected them so far down or not.

I suspect dinner will be very late tonight!!

Robina

Rubina
06-12-2008, 8:32 PM
Here it is Marie

I will ask the mods to sticky it!

Robina

Marie C..
06-12-2008, 8:40 PM
Thanks Rubina!

Lesley Robertson
06-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Here it is Marie

I will ask the mods to sticky it!

Robina

Rather than stick a whole thread (this one), at Rubina's request I've added a note about it to the stickies on Archives in the General Scottish forum.

Lesley

Chris Doran
07-12-2008, 1:24 AM
Sorry to put a damper on it, but I suspect this is someone's educational trial URL which has been leaked, and will be taken down when they find out. Whilst The Scotsman has had free access around December in the past, I have seen no such offer this year, and the normal archive URL, without the "edu." still requires you to pay (albeit that there is a half-price offer on).

Enter their Haggis Hunt competition and you might win an official free access for a year:) See the link at the bottom of the Site Map page. Hint: The golden hagii are fairly easy to spot, but the common ones are grey, often on a grey background, and you need to look for their white bills and then maybe do some image enhancement. Caution: If your internet access is capped, don't leave the competition page up when you're not seeking hagii, as the webcams continually send updates.

MarkJ
07-12-2008, 1:42 AM
Not quite sure, but the site mentioned states -

"You can though search the Archive for FREE by using the search function at the top of this page. This shows you the article headlines only. To view the article in full you need to buy an Archive Pass"

I cannot see any indication that the site is somehow "leaked" or any other way not legit.

According to the main page, you can only search and see headlines.

Disclaimer: I have only looked at the linked page and made my comments based on that. If anyone can prove that the linked site is not legit, I will lock the thread and remove the link.

Mark

MarkJ
07-12-2008, 2:16 AM
Okies - I have received further info and the site appears to be one of those "leaks" which occur from time to time.

So, based on that, I am going to remove the link and lock this thread.

Mark