PDA

View Full Version : Elijah in Canada?

Valman
05-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi,

lve been trying to trace my GgGrandmothers son Elijah Courts without much luck so far, he disappears from the Census after 1881 in London, l have found an Elijah Courts sailing from Liverpool to Quebec on the 20th April, 1907,on board the ss"Vancouver" his age, and occupation are slightly different to his last mention on the 1881 census, but it could be him.
On the incoming Passenger Lists on A......Y there is an E. Courts leaving St. John, New Brunswick, for Liverpool on board the "Corsican" on the 8th January,1910. l wonder does anyone have any idea at all how l could find out any details of his short stay in Canada, do l can maybe eliminate him from my search or maybe identify it as him.

Valman

Mary Anne
05-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Valman

He's on the arrivals list for the Vancouver at Halifax as Elijah Court, age 41 and "General Labourer" is stamped on top of what is written in the occupation column - looks like Labourer of some kind is what is written underneath, but I can't quite make it out (some of the others had written in "Carter" or Farmer" and been stamped over in this same way). His final destination is given as Sydney, Cape Breton (Nova Scotia).

You might want to have a look at the Cape Breton GenWeb to see what is there that might help you. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nscpbret/cbgenwb.html
Maybe write them a query and see if anyone can help with directories or something. It's unfortunate he didn't stick around until the census. ;)

Mary Anne

Valman
06-12-2008, 5:20 PM
Valman

He's on the arrivals list for the Vancouver at Halifax as Elijah Court, age 41 and "General Labourer" is stamped on top of what is written in the occupation column - looks like Labourer of some kind is what is written underneath, but I can't quite make it out (some of the others had written in "Carter" or Farmer" and been stamped over in this same way). His final destination is given as Sydney, Cape Breton (Nova Scotia).

You might want to have a look at the Cape Breton GenWeb to see what is there that might help you. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nscpbret/cbgenwb.html
Maybe write them a query and see if anyone can help with directories or something. It's unfortunate he didn't stick around until the census. ;)

Mary Anne

Hi Mary Anne,

Thank you for that info, Elijah in the English Census was described as a General Labourer so maybe he went to Canada as just that. l have put a message on a board for Cape-Breton asking if anyone has an idea of how to trace him, hoping that they might come up with anything to be honest!

Valman