PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay near British National Archives

Sandra Parker
05-12-2008, 7:00 AM
|help|
I am planning a trip to UK mid next year and hope to spend some couple of weeks in and around the National Archives. As I am totally unfamiliar with the area, I am hoping some kind forum member will help by telling me the district and the nearby, easily accessible places to stay. I intend to self cater as much as possible and have access to the accomodation lists. I just don't have a clue where any of them are in relation to the Archives and Greater London.
Would appreciate any advice. Well, apart from solving the financial exchange rate!
Sandra with the spectacled aura. :)

Astoria
05-12-2008, 7:25 AM
If you are planning to visit in the summer months, universitys often are a cheap source of accomodation, some rent out their student rooms, own bathroom shared kitchen. They also have internet access I think.

Geoffers
05-12-2008, 9:09 AM
The National Archives is in Kew (online maps will show you the area).

I don't know places to stay, but if you use a search engine, try entering

'Kew accomodation'

'Stay in Richmond'

'Stay in Kew'

'Kew bed and breakfast'

'Kew hotels'

Also try VisitRichmond (http://www.visitrichmond.co.uk/) which is a site run by the borough of Richmond

you should get some hits which mean you don't have to travel far to TNA

Thomasin
05-12-2008, 9:23 AM
..... but be careful not to get the results for Richmond in Yorkshire - that really would be too far away!

Thomasin

Peter Goodey
05-12-2008, 5:52 PM
Echoing what Astoria says, if visiting during vacations you may like to consider...

http://www.lsevacations.co.uk/

Central London - Kew is half an hour away but London's facilities are on your doorstep. Also handy for other London repositories.

Sandra Parker
05-12-2008, 9:24 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. My main concern was that I'd book somewhere and then find I had problems getting to Nat Archives, the main purpose of the London leg of my stay, although do have plans for a bit more sightseeing and I'm sticking to public transport. Can't visualise the changes since a couple of years visit in 1972.

This was unfortunately before being bitten by the geneological bug and I can't believe how often I have thought about the lost opportunities. Hence my trying to get it better organised this time!

I think I've got all the other areas of UK, but London seemed a rather daunting propspect without some knowledgeable advice.
As always, your reponses are much appreciated.

Sandra with the spactacled aura |cheers|

Astoria
05-12-2008, 9:31 PM
Will you be travelling alone, or is it a family jaunt?

Jan1954
05-12-2008, 9:33 PM
If you are travelling around London using public transport, you would do well to have a browse of the Transport for London (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/) website.

Marie C..
05-12-2008, 10:11 PM
If your aim is mostly to spend time at Kew then Richmond, Twickenham, Kew gardens areas are nice. You can find cottages/houses/studios for rent and there are buses and trains. Half an hour from Richmond to central London by train. Nearby are Hampton Court Palace and Kew Gardens. High summer late July and August are busy. The schools are on holiday and the places are crowded. May/June and early July are the best times. Marie

Sandra Parker
05-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Can't afford to take the kids, they're grown up anyway! So just hubby and me.
I have made preliminary looks into transport and 'season tickets', but mainly concerned about access, or rather distances and time needed to travel to Archives. Would hate to have to spend an hour a day on a train/bus when I could have stayed 10 minutes walk away!

Went to Hampton Court on previous visit. Unfortunately chose the day it was closed ready for the hoo ha of the inauguration of the Common Market, so decided to at least spend time in the gardens. Great view in the maze in the fog! So it is on the must do list this time. No one's planning another European celebration are they? Oh and could also do without the fog this time (mid year) |biggrin|

Sandra with the spectacled aura

browntoa
06-12-2008, 7:20 AM
this is about 1.3 miles away

(Travelodge hotels, London Kew Bridge)

you can often book rooms for as little as £12-19 if you are staying midweek and booking in advance

good basic clean rooms

directions on a map

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr=TW8+0BD&daddr=TW9+4DU&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=51.374964,0.574647&sspn=0.009416,0.019226&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

NickM
06-12-2008, 9:04 AM
If you are travelling around London using public transport, you would do well to have a browse of the Transport for London (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/) website.

Most definitely. Nowadays you won't get far in London without an Oyster card (a plastic card which you put credits on). You may also find that you can purchase special off-peak travel deals for tourists.

NickM
06-12-2008, 9:32 AM
P.S. Just looked at the Transport for London site, and you can buy London Oyster cards for tourists through many travel agents. The cards cost £2 + the amount of credit, so an Oyster card with £10 credit loaded costs £12, and the card can be topped up at Tube stations, London Overground stations, Oyster Ticket Stops and London Travel Information Centres. When you've finished with the card, you can get a refund of anything under £5 at any of the aforementioned outlets.

browntoa
06-12-2008, 9:59 AM
whoops ...apologies....did'nt realise the direct link to travelodge was not allowed :o:o

Procat
06-12-2008, 10:55 AM
The forum does not allow links to commercial sites. :) They can be named just not linked to. See this (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/announcement.php?f=402) for a bit more info.

Sandra Parker
06-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks everyone. The accomodation isn't such a worry. The location of it is where I didn't have a clue, though can't say that now, with all your suggestions. As we'll be away from home for about 3 months, we're plannning on self catering as much as possible, so we can come and go without any feeling of obligation, and not having to eat out all the time, even if it is cooked for you, and the dishes done, we seem to prefer to eat as we please these days.
Thank you very much for your valuable suggestions. |hug|

Sandra with the spectacled aura