PDA

View Full Version : Smith family of Ayr 1800 - 1910

mastersdk
02-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I am looking for connections of any smith family that was in ayr till about 1910
this family I believe was a walter smith and the mother annie with 134 children

Sue Mackay
02-12-2008, 10:19 PM
and the mother annie with 134 children

I do hope that's a typo :eek:

mastersdk
02-12-2008, 10:19 PM
This family was in Ardrosson, Ayr
two of the girls went to africa about 1910
it is 13 children with apparently a few twins

Sue Mackay
02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
1901 census Parish: Kilmarnock; ED: 14; Page: 44

28 Richardland Road, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire

Walter SMITH 46 patternmaker b. Kilmarnock
Annie SMITH 46 b. Gatehead, Ayrshire
Robert 18 joiner b. Kilmarnock
John 16 patternmaker apprentice b. Kilmarnock
Jeanie 13 cash girl b. Kilmarnock
Annie 8 b. Kilmarnock
Walter 5 b. Kilmarnock
Agnes 2 b. Kilmarnock

Sue Mackay
02-12-2008, 10:42 PM
I can't see any Smith family in Ardrossan but they may have moved there from Kilmarnock - it's not far. I only have access to the Scottish census indexes - for exact details and birth/marriage/deaths you will need to visit Scotlandspeople, which is pay-per-view. Have a look at Lesley Robertson's postings at the top of the General Scottish Forum (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)

mastersdk
27-12-2008, 11:27 PM
although david was born in the census year they may have been out oy the area for it, david apparently did go to school there, born 1901 so in school 1906 to 1910 when they went to canada, I still have not been able to find out if they went for a holiday or were immigrating.
Our people in ottawa say to send the info and they will get it, when I do they send me back the hours of operation,
I live in BC and they are about 2500 miles from here. What I guess I will have to do is find someone when I have a bit of money to go through the school archives and see what is there, his school registration should have a bit of info in them.
But thanks for your help.
Puzzled Doug Kenner

Lesley Robertson
28-12-2008, 10:05 AM
although david was born in the census year they may have been out oy the area for it, david apparently did go to school there, born 1901 so in school 1906 to 1910 when they went to canada, I still have not been able to find out if they went for a holiday or were immigrating.
Our people in ottawa say to send the info and they will get it, when I do they send me back the hours of operation,
I live in BC and they are about 2500 miles from here. What I guess I will have to do is find someone when I have a bit of money to go through the school archives and see what is there, his school registration should have a bit of info in them.
Puzzled Doug Kenner

It's not likely that they were going on holiday unless they were rich - it would have been an expensive, uncomfortable, dangerous and time-consuming business travelling to Canada with so many children.

As Sue has already suggested, you need to check Scotlands People - have a look at the 3 stickies at the top of the General Scottish forum, they may give you some other ideas. Since David may have been born after the 1901 census (late spring), search for his nearest elder sibling.

Lesley

ash33au
30-12-2008, 11:53 PM
I've got Smith's in Ayrshire.

Robert and Agnes arrived in the Maybole area from Ireland sometime in the late 1820s and settled there with their children and Robert's brother Charles.

Their son Charles married a Mary Smith (no relation) and moved to South Australia.

Robert and Agnes's daughter Agnes married John McPhee and also moved to South Australia.

JustJean
31-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Puzzled Doug Kenner

After having a look around at the vital records in Kilmarnock and also possible births of a David SMITH I'm wondering if you're trying to find the wrong family. Both Walter and Ann died in Kilmarnock some years post your 1910 date of emigration. There is no evidence of a David registered as born to them around 1901. What evidence are you using that indicates David was a son of theirs?

Best wishes
Jean

mastersdk
05-01-2009, 3:37 AM
No Walter Smith and Mary Sproat were the grandparents
William and annie drysdale were his parents, as far as I know he went to school in ardrossan and might have been born there but lived in Kilmarnock.
I am trully puzzled.
Doug

Lesley Robertson
05-01-2009, 9:13 AM
William and annie drysdale were his parents, as far as I know he went to school in ardrossan and might have been born there but lived in Kilmarnock.
I am trully puzzled.
Doug

But according to your first post and Ann's (number 4) say that Annie was married to a Walter, not a William.
I'm getting confused!
Lesley

JustJean
05-01-2009, 12:50 PM
I am looking for connections of any smith family that was in ayr till about 1910
this family I believe was a walter smith and the mother annie with 134 children

Hmmm....I guess I got confused then. From your original post I was looking for a husband and wife Walter and Annie with many children. Does this mean Annie was the mother of Walter???

There is one death in Ayr of a Mary Cunningham SMITH other surname SPROTT in 1995 at age 86. This found on a search from 1855 to present day. This doesn't come close to being the right age to be an elder to someone born around the turn of the century but is the only record found using both surnames.

Can you please just clarify the documentation that you do have that you know to be correct for us!

Best wishes
Jean

Lesley Robertson
05-01-2009, 1:26 PM
I am trully puzzled.
Doug

There are 10 David Smiths born in Ayrshire 1900-1902 on SP. None of them were born in Kilmarnock or Ardrossan, but people moved a lot (sometimes every year if they couldn't find an employer they got on with) - just because he started school in one place does not mean that he was born in that place.
The simplest thing might be to spend a bit of time with SP and check them all out. Only 2 were actually born in 1901. If he's not among them, then you have to consider that he might have been born in another county, and then moved to Ayr.
Scotlands People has no record of Mary Sproat marrying anyone called Smith, so if they were the grandparents, that suggests that they were incomers. Also, there's no marriage cert for Ann(ie) Drysdale marrying any Smith.
I can't see these two marriages on FreeBMD, either.

Lesley