PDA

View Full Version : Canadian relatives!

wowliecat
01-12-2008, 2:07 PM
Hi,
Thank you for offering to help, this researching is very addictive!
There are two threads of the family to end up in Canada,
1. Anthong Collingwood Bottom, born 1894 in Hartlepool, he married Nellie kent in Guisborough in 1917 and they had one child in this country Marjorie C.
I have the family on a passenger list from Liverpool to Quebec in 1923 but then the trail goes cold. There is some story about him being in the Canadian navy but I haven't been able to verify that. So I'm really trying to trace any descendents of Marjorie and any other siblings born in Canada.
2. Dorothy Tindall born 1920 in Darlington England met and married a Canadian based over here during the war, he was called Richard Fletcher. They are both buried in Kelvington cemetery Saskachewan having passed away around 2003/5. They had 2 sons whose names I don't know but it is these Fletchers in Sask that I'm trying to trace!
So that's the tale so far, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Anne

giveover
01-12-2008, 5:56 PM
This doesn't answer either of your questions but do you have the attestation papers for Anthony Collingwood Bottom.
There are quite a few pages for him up to about 1917. He seemed to enjoy his free time !

I can send you the information if you don't already have it.

Best wishes
Anne

grendav2001
02-12-2008, 2:30 PM
the baptisms at holy trinity church in the ancient borough of hartlepool:

17 may 1893
emily collingwood bottom.
daughter of frederick and eliza bottom.
warren street in hartlepool.

18 april 1894
anthony collingwood bottom
son of above. address as above.

wowliecat
02-12-2008, 4:48 PM
Hi,
Yes I have all the paperwork of Anthony in the Territorials and it made me laugh, everytime he was meant to be on duty, he disappeared for 3 days!
I've got all the details of Anthony and his siblings, and his parents and grandparents.
I just wondered what happened to him once he went to Canada. His descendents did come over to England but unfortunately went to visit my Aunty who was awful and turned them away.
My Dad is now over 80 and would like to know what happened to them as his Uncle Tony is about the only member of the family he knew.
Anne

Keewatin
02-12-2008, 6:51 PM
Hi There
If you go to the main Saskatchewan phone directory at mysask.com and search for Fletcher in Kelvington ,you will get 9 listings complete with addresses. It might be worth it to write to all 9 explaining who you are etc., and see what transpires. A friend of mine did this and found cousins and other relatives. It may well work in small towns.
Good luck
Keewatin

wowliecat
04-12-2008, 1:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.
I printed off a list of Fletchers from the phone book a while ago, it's such small world these days with the internet. I traced a friend of my Dads when they lived in Africa, to New Zealand and reunited them after 30 years. I also traced my Aunties birth mother and they were reunited. All through the internet!

I will either write to the Fletchers or even give them a quick phone call one day when I have time, and time zone allowing.
Thanks
Anne