PDA

View Full Version : Railwaymen during WWII

billysax
30-11-2008, 7:52 PM
My Dad worked on the railway almost all of his working life, retiring in 1965. His was classed as a reserved occupation so he did not serve during WWII.
I remember as a young boy being ,not exactly ashamed ,but somewhat embarrased when other kids told of what their Dads did during the war whilst my Dad was only a railway fireman.
Today I watched a programme in the "Pete Waterman, Trains" series which was all about the valiant service the railways gave during the war. I hadn't realised fully until then the sacrifices some men made, the long, long hours they worked, the dangers they faced and much more besides.
I remember that Dad spent time away from home, sleeping in dormitories (from one of which, to his mortification, he brought home some unwelcome guests which invaded his and Mam's bed!!)
All in all, at the end of the programme, I felt quite proud of him and his mates, just wish I could have told him so.

benny1982
30-11-2008, 8:23 PM
Hi

At least your dad did something good. There is nothing wrong with being a railway fireman in the war. At least this story can make you proud.

Ben

NickM
30-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Considering that German bombers both navigated by and bombed railway lines in WW2, I would say it was probably quite a dangerous job !

benny1982
01-12-2008, 6:32 PM
Hi

I also agree. Firefighters put themselves at risk to save others. It was just as important as fighting enemies, just fires instead.

Ben

harold Pearson
15-02-2009, 11:12 PM
My father was a driver with the LMS/BR for over 40 years. He also suffered persecution from people who thought he had somehow dodged the draft

I remember my father telling me of driving trains through the night during the war, the locomotive blacked out, peering into the darkness, looking diagonally across the fields in the hope of an advanced glimpse of a distant flickering signal, lit with oil lamps in those days. Such information could mean keeping the regulator open and the speed up that little bit longer. Working extended shifts brought with it the risk of fatigue; it was not a good idea to nod off. One way of keeping awake was by exposing a bare elbow to the cold night air. He often wondered if the track ahead was intact or perhaps had become a victim of a German bomb either dropped deliberately or jettisoned from a damaged bomber limping home. As if to confirm his fears he arrived at a bridge early one morning to find an un-detonated parachute mine swinging from the girders!

Browneyes
16-02-2009, 7:06 PM
You've made me wonder about my Grandad now - he definately worked on the railways from just before the turn of the century to 'I don't know when' but he didn't die until the 60s. I haven't found anything on him yet re his work on the railways except his job title in 1901.

Would there have been specific forms filled in by someone who didn't sign up but worked for rail companies during WWII?

Browneyes