PDA

View Full Version : Trade directory Glasgow HELP PLEASE

neilelliott21
30-11-2008, 1:09 PM
Hi everyone

I am trying to find out if anyone can search a trade directory for Glasgow (early to mid 1800s) for a gentleman with the surname DAVIDSON who is listed as a plasterer.

Thank you

allyj50
10-12-2008, 12:55 AM
My mother was apprenticed as a french polisher to a large jewish family firm in Glasgow from approximately 1942. I think the name of the company from memory was Gardiner's. Can anyone confirm this for me please? She started approx 14 years and was considered qualified I think about 6 years later. I remember she told me that for the first two years she wasn't allowed to touch any wood - her job simply was to watch the other polishers and observe and brush the shavings up.

Her mother was also a french polisher - but a different sort - but I have no idea what was meant by that.

Cheers
AJ x

Lesley Robertson
10-12-2008, 9:16 AM
Hi everyone

I am trying to find out if anyone can search a trade directory for Glasgow (early to mid 1800s) for a gentleman with the surname DAVIDSON who is listed as a plasterer.

Thank you

If you don't get the info you want, I know that there's at least one Glasgow Directory for sale on Parish Chest.
Lesley

slippery
22-02-2009, 1:36 PM
Hi
The Pigots Directory for Glasgow 1825/26 is on Ancestry.

This is probably yours;

Walter Paterson, 21 Norfolk St, Laurieston. Plasterer.

I have saved a copy if he is yours let me know.

Peter

neilelliott21
23-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Hi Peter

Thank you for your response, but I am looking for a James Davidson plasterer of Glasgow please, not a Walter Paterson.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you