PDA

View Full Version : 1905 passenger list

jennifer 150
29-11-2008, 2:14 PM
Am i going mad or am i not doing something right.
On the passenger list 17 aug 1905 from Liverpool to Montreal ship Victoria i see a Harriett Martin wife 28 travelling people with the same name Mr Martin who i would presume was her husband but he is not on the print out.
I have been searching all leads for my Gt Aunt who i know went to Canada.
Her name was Harriett Shilstone b 1881 ( i know this does not tally up with the age on the passenger list) but as i say i am trying everything. I know she married someone with the surname Martin but can't find a wedding for them. She is listed on the 1901 census as Shilstone so did she really marry i wonder.
Can anyone help please?
jenny

Geoffers
29-11-2008, 8:01 PM
Passenger lists form this time contain less information than post-WW1 so it is more difficult to identify passengers with certainty. To add to the problems, married couples did not always emigrate at the same time; couples did not always marry but if you cannot find a marriage in the GRO index, you might find one in the Army indexes.

peter nicholl
29-11-2008, 9:40 PM
Hi Jenny
Harriett Martin is shown on the SS Victorian on page 5, however, the elusive Mr Martin mentioned is shown on page 10.
Having said that, if you go to page 3 there you will find what seems to be yet another Martin, a Bandsman in the Irish Guards. If this is your man, then they may have married in Ireland.
Peter

peter nicholl
30-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Now it's morning and with clearer eyes, the Bandsman might be Merton, but perhaps still worth a try.
Peter

jennifer 150
30-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Thankyou both for taking the trouble to look for my Gt Aunt, someone can always give you different ideas to look for so that is a great help.

benny1982
30-11-2008, 8:12 PM
Hi

Sorry to also put a wet blanket on things but also many immigration registers are quite vague. Some just give Mr Bloggs instead of Frederick Cornelius Bloggs or F Bloggs.

Even if migrating from one part of a country to another, in many cases the husband went first to set up home then his family joined a month or two later.

Ben