PDA

View Full Version : emigrated england/scotland to south africa

pepperd
28-11-2008, 8:06 PM
Hi,
having trouble finding info on a relative Robert Ebbs born 1882 Scotland
emigrated to south africa, supposed to have married on ship to Rosa jane young from St Helena Island
first child born 1904 in South africa. anyone help please

Dave

Lesley Robertson
28-11-2008, 8:36 PM
Hi,
having trouble finding info on a relative Robert Ebbs born 1882 Scotland
emigrated to south africa, supposed to have married on ship to Rosa jane young from St Helena Island
first child born 1904 in South africa. anyone help please

Dave

Where have you looked?
Searching Scotlands People birth certificates for Robert Ebbs born 1880 to 1884 turns up 1 hit.
Searching the 1891 census on the same site for Robert Ebbs aged 8 to 12 on the same site turns up one hit.

I suggest that you take a look at these records - I can't get any further without spending my own money.

If you haven't used Scotlands People before, take a look at sticky number 1 on the General Scottish forum here http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36108
Always remember that people were fuzzier about ages and name spellings back then.
Lesley

Sue Mackay
28-11-2008, 8:46 PM
Go to http://www.national.archives.gov.za/ and click on Search the National Automated Archival Information Retrieval System (NAAIRS) on the left hand side.

Click on RSA (all repositories)

Enter the name EBBS and press Search

Click on Saved Queries

15 documents come up, including the estate papers of Robert EBBS in 1940. You might be lucky and find a death notice, which can give a lot of information. You can order a copy via eggsa.org (click on Contents/Library/Archive Documents)

pepperd
29-11-2008, 1:37 AM
Thanks,
I got the information from the ScotlandsPeople website

I dont believe after checking the South African website that the Robert Ebbs
matches the one I'm looking for.

any help maybe with passenger lists and Rosa Jane Young?

thanks
Dave