PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence 1861 Census

SHodgkins
27-11-2008, 7:33 PM
I am struggling to find George Lawrence born abt 1835 in the 1861 census. I can locate him in 1851 and 1871 and was born in Ely Cambs. His parents are also not to be found!

George Lawrence in 1862 was in Prickwillow Ely as he was on the birth certificate for his son. I was hoping to locate him on the census as I cannot find his marriage to Mary Ann Barnard.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Astoria
27-11-2008, 7:39 PM
Do you have an occupation for George?

SHodgkins
27-11-2008, 7:43 PM
George was a farm labourer in 1862.

Astoria
27-11-2008, 7:55 PM
Was the son you mention his first child?

SHodgkins
27-11-2008, 8:04 PM
George and Mary had four children in the 1871 census and the eldest child was George William (1862).

Jan1954
27-11-2008, 9:20 PM
RG9/1039 was the piece number for Ely in 1861 and A******y states that it is one of the parishes that is missing. :(

SHodgkins
27-11-2008, 9:31 PM
Thanks for the information. It will probably remain a mystery then!

Do you have any ideas how I can find the marriage of George Lawrence and Mary Ann Barnard? I know Mary was born in Attleborough Norfolk in 1841 but cannot find a marriage for them. If she had been married before would her name on her childrens birth certificate show this? All the certificate shows is her married surname and formerly known as Barnard.

Otherwise would it be possible that they were not married?

Jan1954
27-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the information. It will probably remain a mystery then! I have similar with 1841, so I know how frustrating it can be!

Do you have any ideas how I can find the marriage of George Lawrence and Mary Ann Barnard. I know Mary was born in Attleborough Norfolk in 1841 but cannot find a marriage for them. Well, I had a look on FreeBMD but did not find them. Short of ploughing through the GRO records and cross-checking, your best bet might be to look at the parish records for Mary's home parish. It was quite common for the marriage to take place in the Bride's home parish and then for her to be whisked away to the Groom's home parish to live.
If she had been married before would her name on her childrens birth certificate show this? It should, but this might not have happened.
All the certificate shows is her married surname and formerly known as Barnard.If a previous marriage had taken place, the birth certificate of any child from the subsequent marriage should show all the surnames by which the mother had been known.

Otherwise would it be possible that they were not married?Oh yes.... ;)