PDA

View Full Version : "Consult Me for All You Want to Know"

Penny Gallo
27-11-2008, 3:39 PM
This domestic tome is obviously a rip-off of the more famous "Enquire Within Upon Everything". This volume was brought out in Dec 1883, and so has the summary of the "Married Women's Property Act, 1882" (came into operation Jan 1st 1883). 'Every woman who married after the commencement of this Act shall be entitled to have and hold as her separate property and to dispose of....' She was also thereby entitled to keep any wages she earned, or money by "the exercise of any literary, artistic or scientific skill". She could take out a policy on her own life or that of her husband. She could keep any savings or stock in her own name after marriage. The Acts of 1870 and 1874 were repealed, so this was the third go. It didn't take effect in Scotland!

Otherwise it is a fascinating insight into the Victorian household, circa 1883. The food doesn't sound much fun: Lamphreys, stewed; Flummery, Cow-heel Broth, Bakes Cod's Head, Pig's Feet Jelly, Nettle Beer and Peas Pudding. Everything, it seems could go into a pie: Snipe Pie, Eel Pie, Pigeon Pie or Giblet Pie.

Illnesses to be dealt with include Cholera, Diptheria, Burns and Scalding, Delirium Tremens, Scarletina and Bite of a Mad Dog. Antidotes are given for a long list of poisons (luckily, for many of these poisons are included in the homemade recipes for things like early dry-cleaning, boot-blacking and homemade fireworks!): Arsenic, Oxalic Acid, Opium, Prussic Acid and Strychnia (sic).

Sickrooms should have the window open - if it was windy, just partially close the bed-curtains. Infants should be "innured" to cold, and gradually get used to cold baths. Warts could either be rubbed daily with a radish - or now and then with "elixir of vitriol". Lip salve should be made by boiling a little veal suet in salt and water. Instructions are given for dyeing silks, for removal of stains, and for cleaning oil paintings (explaining much about the condition of paintings on the Antiques Roadshow!). You could learn how to curl hair with oil, and how to fill decayed teeth with Gutta Percha.

In fact nothing seems to have been too daunting a task for the Victorian household: there are entries upon Destroying Rats, Making Cement to mend Stones, Ascertaining the Weight of Cattle, and Asphalting for Roads and Roofs!

The Wages Table breaks down annual incomes into weekly amounts, starting with £1 per annum (under 5 old pennies per week) up to £100. The seasonal food list reminds us that many fruits, vegetables, meat and fish were on the table for only a few months of the year (provided you were earning as much as possible towards the £100 end of the scale). I think the least appetising recipe is:

"Take a thin slice of bread and toast it on both sides; put it in a jug, and pour water over it from a tea kettle... cover the jug and let it cool." I should think the implicit finale would read, Then give it to your Domestic Servants for Supper.....

pottoka
27-11-2008, 3:55 PM
Thank goodness I wasn't around then! As for books, I prefer the gentle nostalgia of "Miss Clare Remembers", even if it's not as usefully informative.

Davran
27-11-2008, 4:39 PM
Penny, that's absolutely fascinating.

Penny Gallo
27-11-2008, 4:49 PM
I haven't read that one, but I'll look out for it. My favourite Victorian nostalgic read is Gwen Raverat's "Period Piece" about her childhood - but then she was related to the Darwins, and her family were living a charmed existence in Cambridge. She did the illustrations herself including one of her Aunt Etty wearing her patent anti-colds mask, fashioned from wire kitchen strainer and antiseptic wool.

Penny Gallo
27-11-2008, 4:52 PM
Well, don't forget to "Consult Me" if you have any problems.....http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-scared-smileys-716.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Scared-Smileys/) - eek!

Dan Gril
13-11-2009, 2:56 PM
I just stumbled across this site, but I've also got a copy of this book - and have been posting entries from it online - consult-me.blogspot.com

Dan Gril
16-11-2009, 9:27 AM
Well, the edition I've got is from the 1880s, so with a 70-year-after death copyright, I reckon this is long expired. The people who are currently republishing this, like most publishers of classics these days, have absolutely no rights over the material...

Snoopy
25-03-2010, 5:04 AM
Your last paragraph re: toast & hot water is a remedy for many ills-colds, upset tummy, etc. I still recommend this to my kids today for their children. It works but don't ask why. Snoopy, British Columbia