PDA

View Full Version : John F MCDONALD poss ISHMAIL

Jampot99
26-11-2008, 3:59 PM
Hi all,

after thinking I wouldn't find a "Black Sheep" in my family tree, happened upon an old family story that my great grandfather a John F MCDONALD (Born in Mile End 1890 and died 1970) who was in the Merchant navy in WW1 either jumped ship or did something shady around 1918 as he then took the surname Ishmail (his two youngest sons had the surname)

I have dug around and asked the family and they are sure it wasn't a case of a remarriage of his wife Francis A DAVEY (1889-1972) and infact through this there was a mention of a death on board ship and John taking the dead mans papers/name as to get out of service.

All in all an intreguing puzzle that I am kind of stuck with, so if anyone has any ideas where I can look for more information on what might have happened, that would be great! Also possibly allowing me to see if ive actually got a bona fide "Black Sheep" in the family :-)

Cheers

ChristineR
27-11-2008, 7:11 AM
The best solution would be to get one of youngest sons' birth certificate with the new surname, and see what it says about his parentage.

Peter Goodey
27-11-2008, 8:11 AM
The captain's name wasn't Ahab by any chance? :D

I endorse what Christine says and more, as a general rule, do your own research from scratch and you're more likely to uncover the truth.

Don't ignore family legends but don't give them undue weight. Look on them as things to be disproved.