PDA

View Full Version : Cousin Marriages

Lindad
04-02-2005, 11:34 PM
I use Family Historian... and have quite a number of cousin marriages in my tree. So far, the only way I've been able to accomodate these is by creating an additional dummy record for both cousins - otherwise I end up duplicating the entire tree. :(

Am I missing something - or is this a recognised blip?

Cousin marriages seemed awfully common amongst my family but it's difficult to really show the whole picture on a diagram.

Geoffers
05-02-2005, 9:17 PM
I use Family Historian... and have quite a number of cousin marriages in my tree. So far, the only way I've been able to accomodate these is by creating an additional dummy record for both cousins - otherwise I end up duplicating the entire tree. :(
Am I missing something - or is this a recognised blip?
I have several similar records and use fH........

I'd suggest that when you have a man who marries a woman already recorded on your file, that you link to the existing record, rather than create a dummy record.

When you display a diagram, you'll notice there are lots of small nodes (they look like grey circles) between generations. If you click on one of those grey nodes, you'll see that all the records under it disappear. This will avoid large duplication of the descendents of married cousins on a diagram when you print it off.

You then are left with displaying the cousins twice - once as offspring of their parents and once as the bride/groom of the cousin. I have created a custom attribute 'N.B' and add misc.notes to this. I then have a custom diagram scheme in which I include this attribute. On a diagram this shows something like "N.B. dau of William Lowe, married son of John Lowe" - or you could just show "N.B. married a cousin".

If you don't want to create a custom attributre and diagram then when you have a digram display, simply override text (click on 'digram' and it's in the drop-down menu).

Geoffers