PDA

View Full Version : Calendar of Wills, Hampshire

v.wells
25-11-2008, 9:03 PM
Which would be the nearest Probate Registry Office closest to Alton, Hampshire - would it be Ipswish or London First Avenue House? As I can't go in person I would like to view the calendar of wills for 1968/69 in order to obtain a copy of the Will. It would have been a simple will without extensive monetary grants. I am just hoping for next of kin listed somewhere on it.

All your thoughts appreciated:D

Jan1954
25-11-2008, 9:14 PM
Go for Holborn (http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm), Vanessa :)

oxon57
25-11-2008, 9:35 PM
Why Alton?
Is that where the person died (in which case it's neither here nor there, because it's a National calendar) or is that where the person who is looking it up for you lives?

If the latter - how are they travelling, by train or by car?
If by train, then, yes, I would go to London (Holborn).
If by car, nobody in their right mind takes a car into central London if they can avoid it, and the local office at Winchester (no trains there from Alton) is a heck of a lot nearer than London, so worth trying if it's more convenient...
but if using Winchester, do ring first and check that they have the years required, local offices do not have the lot, so it may be necessary to go to Holborn anyway.

v.wells
25-11-2008, 9:44 PM
Thanks Jan.:) That would be First Avenue House :D I can't wait to write to them about this will and am trying (probably in vain) to circumvent the occasion by trotting down yet another path. Reading all this Will jargon is like reading Martian to me. I am bemused why the English gov't make searching for these things so difficult and hard to understand. |banghead|

I am now discovering I need a 6th house in England - a London house - I hope I win the lottery soon!|laugh1|

v.wells
25-11-2008, 9:51 PM
Why Alton?
Is that where the person died (in which case it's neither here nor there, because it's a National calendar) or is that where the person who is looking it up for you lives?

If the latter - how are they travelling, by train or by car?
If by train, then, yes, I would go to London (Holborn).
If by car, nobody in their right mind takes a car into central London if they can avoid it, and the local office at Winchester (no trains there from Alton) is a heck of a lot nearer than London, so worth trying if it's more convenient...
but if using Winchester, do ring first and check that they have the years required, local offices do not have the lot, so it may be necessary to go to Holborn anyway.

Oxon57
I was sort of hoping I could find some kind soul to go in person and Alton is where the person died and hopefully buried there. Anyway I can't ask anyone to go to Holborn (I'm not that unkind!) so I will either have to phone really early my time or write to them which, as it is approaching Xmas, a bit of a crunch. Thanks I'll think on the Winchester angle as the Hampshire Record Office Dserver appears to have broken |computer| for several days now. I have sent emails to them to ask for their help|laugh1|

Jan1954
25-11-2008, 9:54 PM
... so I will either have to phone really early my time or write to them ...You will need to write to them, Vanessa - they do not accept telephone requests.

Enjoy your lie-in.... :D

v.wells
25-11-2008, 9:57 PM
Winchester is MUCH closer (I had to googlemap it) so I will make an effort at that office.Thanks Oxon57:D

You just saved me money - I can now get rid of my 6th house in London!

v.wells
25-11-2008, 10:03 PM
You will need to write to them, Vanessa - they do not accept telephone requests.

Enjoy your lie-in.... :D

Well that at least saves some pennies in phone calls|rant|

oxon57
25-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Before I go to bed, let us just make sure we don't have any confusion here.

I'll think on the Winchester angle as the Hampshire Record Office Dserver appears to have broken for several days now.
Hampshire Record Office has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the District Probate Registry at Winchester.

I will either have to phone really early my time or write to themAs Jan says, they do not not accept "telephone requests". You can, as I suggested, ring Winchester to check that they hold the years required, but not to ask for a search.
However, if you are writing to ask for a search rather than visiting in person, then you do not write to Holborn, nor do you write to Winchester, you write to York - click the "What if I cannot get to First Avenue House or a Registry?" link on the page that Jan linked to for the address etc.

v.wells
25-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Oxon, yes I understood to ring Winchester to see if they hold the years and then either get my contact to visit in person and if not able to do that, at least I would have the reference numbers to write to Winchester or York with. Thank you, I think I got it(maybe):o

NicoUK
26-11-2008, 7:43 AM
Oxon57
I was sort of hoping I could find some kind soul to go in person and Alton is where the person died and hopefully buried there ..

Vanessa, if you'd like to post details I could visit the Curtis Museum, where I believe burial registers are held on microfiche, to see if the person was buried in Alton Cemetery and try to find the grave if so. I don't know how big the cemetery is but will take a look if you can provide a name.

|wave|

Peter Goodey
26-11-2008, 8:06 AM
Oxon, yes I understood to ring Winchester to see if they hold the years

Vanessa
The advice that Oxon gave is correct. Do not contact Winchester. Either (a) get somebody to visit Holborn in person on your behalf or (b) write to York.

Colin Moretti
26-11-2008, 8:57 AM
For the record, there are two options in Winchester:
The District Probate Registry
The County Record Office.

The latter holds the earlier calendars on microfiche and the former later calendars mainly in hard copy; I don't know the exact dates, I'm afraid, but the Hampshire RO (http://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives.htm) website will probably give details. Personal visits necessary only for both.

Colin

v.wells
26-11-2008, 3:40 PM
Vanessa, if you'd like to post details I could visit the Curtis Museum, where I believe burial registers are held on microfiche, to see if the person was buried in Alton Cemetery and try to find the grave if so. I don't know how big the cemetery is but will take a look if you can provide a name.

|wave|

That would be wonderful NicoUK:D

Person in question is : Esther Ethel J. Beardsworth died 3rd quarter 1968 Alton
GRO Index vol 6b p 37. Wife of Charles B. Beardsworth.

I have just ordered the death cert but it won't arrive for another 3 weeks or so. Details of the burial register would be great if possible.

I do realize she may not be buried in Alton Cemetery. Hampshiregov.uk server is down so I doubt my email went through re Alton Cemetery.

I appreciate your kindness in looking it up since I don't have anyone close by to be able to do it.|hug|

v.wells
26-11-2008, 3:46 PM
Colin thanks for that. The Hampshire gov.uk site is down at the moment and they do have copies of "some" Wills. I was inquiring at their site for information as to the best place to start with. I didn't realize that Winchester was so close to Alton so I was hoping to get ref numbers.

Some kind person whom shall remain nameless is going to Holborn and will do the look up for me if I can't glean anything from Winchester:D

NicoUK
27-11-2008, 4:26 PM
Vanessa, I was able to check the microfiche register for St Lawrence Church for 1955 to 1975 but found no Beardsworths there I'm afraid and they seemed to be the only ones available at the Library - the Museum holds 19th Century and earlier. Unfortunately I ran out of time but will try to get back to the Library as soon as I can to check through the local paper archives for any death announcement and see whether any other microfiche can be located.

So sorry not to have found them in the cemetery either. I checked all of the areas in the Alton Cemetery where a 1968 burial might have been, including those for different religions. The cremations area were all too recent, being about 1980 onwards.

If the Cemetery Office can find a record for them I'll visit the grave and see if there's a headstone with info - perhaps you could send me a PM if you find out more?

v.wells
27-11-2008, 5:27 PM
Thanks NicoUK. Hampshire gov.uk forwarded my email to council office and hopefully will be able to findsomething in the burial register.

Surprisingly enough I ordered some certs with the estimated release date of Nov 24 and I received one yesterday. Maybe the rest will come some time this week and the death registration will be a lot faster. Seems GRO is speeding up their delivery times for overseas clients! I can't wait to see what the death cert reveals. Probably more of these |banghead|!

I will pm you when I find out more and post here as well! Thanks

v.wells
28-11-2008, 3:34 PM
I just received this from the Hampshire Records Office:

"I am afraid that we do not hold copies of will past 1941. You need to contact the Winchester District Probate Registry, Cromwell House, Andover Road, Winchester SO23 7EW (01962 897029"

Is there anyone close enough to do this or shall I go with the kind soul who offered to do the look up in Holborn?

Still waiting for cert but do know the year it occurred.

Peter Goodey
28-11-2008, 3:56 PM
Holborn

presumably what SKS offered was

1. Search calendar

2. If admon, copy details.

3. If will, order copy on 1 hour service.

v.wells
28-11-2008, 5:37 PM
Yes Peter I will go with that SKS as that person is going anyway. :D

I shall shut up about it now!:o

I can blame my audacity on brain clutter, but SOME RO's do have copies of Wills in their archive sections. I have received several from Devon RO but they were dated in the pre-1900's.

NicoUK
01-12-2008, 3:21 PM
Hi Vanessa,

Just checked through the Deaths, In Memorium and Thanks columns of the Alton Gazette & Hampshire Herald archives from June 1968 through to February 1969 and any listing of Wills that I saw but without success, no mention of the name Beardsworth at all.

:(

v.wells
01-12-2008, 6:38 PM
Thanks Nico it was worth a try. I will just have to wait and see what turns up in Holborn. I am speechless and at a loss as to what else to do but|idea| there is always the death certificate which could turn up any day now:)

v.wells
06-12-2008, 2:49 AM
Death cert turned up today. Esther died 14 July 1968 and her residence was Arford Rd, Headley, Bordon, Alton, Hampshire. I have sent a "Where are they now" enquiry to the Bordon/Farnham newspaper. Maybe someone will remember them. The death cert notes that she was a Press Artist so she may have even been employed by the newspaper. I also sent a separate email to the editor for directions in sourcing information.