PDA

View Full Version : Maesteg?

flounder
24-11-2008, 1:57 PM
Hi all,

am searching the Welsh side of my family. My Gt Gt grandmother was born in Maesteg in 1868 i am led to believe, she was in the workhouse in 1881 aged 13. When i am searching for her, where would i look, ie what town? Have looked through FreeBMD, but can only get a Sarah Hopkins born Merthyr Tydvil or Neath, which one would Maesteg come under, have had a look at the towns listed and its not coming up, i am trying to find out where her son was born in 1886 and what name he wouldve used and also if she married previous to my Gt Gt grandfather, as they didnt marry until 1889.

Many thanks
Wendy

Thomasin
24-11-2008, 2:14 PM
I'm not an expert on Welsh towns either, but (going by Google), you could try Neath or Bridgend - or just set the FreeBMD county to Glamorgan. This should get it.

Thomasin

flounder
24-11-2008, 2:17 PM
Thanks, i have been putting in county of Glamorgan, and Merthyr and Neath have popped up, so it looks like it could be Neath, just my luck it could be Merthyr too lol

Thanks Again
Wendy

John Nicholas
24-11-2008, 5:05 PM
Wendy,

Maesteg appears to have been part of Llangynwyd (Fawr or Higher) parish. That parish was part of the Neath registration district until 1888, when it transferred to Bridgend district. So, assuming your family sources are correct, Neath is the district to concentrate on up to 1888.

John

Penny Gallo
24-11-2008, 5:27 PM
I did find on the 1871 census (via A*Y):

Glamorgan/ Llangynwyd/ Maesteg/ "The Village"
Schedule number 11:

Rees Hopkins, Head, Married, 47, Fireman
Harriet Hopkins, Wife, " , 42
Margaret " , Dau, Unm , 20, General Servant
Catherine " , " " , 17
Rees " , Son, " , 12
Elias " , " " , 7
Sarah Ann " , Dau " , 2
Mary C Lewis, Granddau, 8 months.

All were said to be born in Llangynwyd.

Any use?

Penny Gallo
24-11-2008, 5:36 PM
Could he possibly have been an underground fireman working in a coal mine? I note that Maesteg is only a mile or so North from Llangynwyd, and this site: http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/DisastersList.htm. gives some details of mines nearby. An accident at the pit could have put the whole family or at least most of the children into the workhouse.

flounder
24-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Thank you all sooooo much for your help, its a bit late now, gotta get up for the school run in the morning, but will look into all this, it has been really helpful, i know i couldve apllied for certificates and such, but didnt want to waste money til i knew for certain, now i can, you really dont know how much you have helped me, i really appreciate all you have done. I also realise how much time and money you wonderful people put into searching for people like me.
Many thanks to you all

Wendy.xxx

bjelkier
24-11-2008, 11:39 PM
There is an entry for a Sarah Ann Hopkins with mother Harriet [widow] and siblings in Maesteg in 1881 census - RG11/5327 Folio 129 Page 9 - they are all listed as being born in Llangynwyd and the eldest son is a blacksmith.

flounder
25-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Many thanks, so it looks like i possible got the workhouse 1 wrong, oops, also looks like the grandaughter Mary C Lewis 1871 is now a daughter Mary C Hopkins in 1881.

Thanks again, you really have helped me
Wendy

flounder
25-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Have just found a christening for Mary C Hopkins, but the mother is listed as Catherine Hopkins and the father is Robert Durbin, ooohhh the plot thickens lol, but nothing for Mary Lewis, oh well, it keeps me out of trouble.
Wendy