PDA

View Full Version : Richard Thomas

Elizabeth
24-11-2008, 3:58 AM
I am hitting my head on a brickwall trying to find Richard Thomas's parents Richard was born about 1798 in Neath. I just can't find his mam and Dad
Please Help....|banghead|

Lesley Robertson
24-11-2008, 9:07 AM
I am hitting my head on a brickwall trying to find Richard Thomas's parents Richard was born about 1798 in Neath. I just can't find his mam and Dad

Where have you looked?
Lesley

John Nicholas
24-11-2008, 5:17 PM
Elizabeth,

According to the Glamorgan FHS baptism index, one Richard Thomas was baptised in Neath parish in 1798 (5th February). His parents were David & Catharine.

HOWEVER, there are other baptisms in 1797 and 1799 at Margam (not far) and another at Neath in 1802. How sure are you of time and place and how would you know when you got the right one?

John

Elizabeth
25-11-2008, 3:33 AM
Where have you looked?
Lesley

Hi Thankyou for the reply I have looked in the IGI. and I think that I found him in the 1841 census but I have lost him. I can not find a marriage for him to a Jennett Beven but both these names are on the birth cert. for thier son Edward Thomas also born in Neath.
I hope that you can help as I am in oz and it is rather difficult to search from here. Regards Elizabeth:)

Elizabeth
25-11-2008, 3:44 AM
Elizabeth,

According to the Glamorgan FHS baptism index, one Richard Thomas was baptised in Neath parish in 1798 (5th February). His parents were David & Catharine.

HOWEVER, there are other baptisms in 1797 and 1799 at Margam (not far) and another at Neath in 1802. How sure are you of time and place and how would you know when you got the right one?

John

Hi Thank you for your reply I have guesstimated his date of birth going on the
date of biths of his children and the naming pattern of the children. I also think that I found him on the 1841 census but I am not sure about that.
Regards Elizabeth:)

John Nicholas
25-11-2008, 8:53 AM
Elizabeth,

Richard Thomas of Coity parish married Jennet Bevan of Coychurch parish in Coychurch on 25th July 1820.

John

John Nicholas
25-11-2008, 9:15 AM
Elizabeth,

The parish at time of marriage isn't necessarily the parish of birth, of course. However, there was a Richard Thomas baptised at Coity on 6th March 1793, parents Nicholas & Mary. The previous such baptism was in 1788 and the next much later (too late for a marriage in 1820).

I could find no Jennet Bevan (or similar) baptised at Coychurch. There are several candidates in other parishes, but nothing else to go on at the moment.

John

John Nicholas
25-11-2008, 9:32 AM
Elizabeth,

It's me again! Have you got more information on this family which you haven't posted here? You mention a birth certificate for Edward - can you put up full details, so that members can try to identify the family on censuses?

John

janbooth
25-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Elizabeth,

This looks like Richard & Jennet in the 1851 census of Pencoyd, Glamorgan:

HO107/2461, folio 248, page 25
Trebryn

Richard THOMAS Head Mar 65 Farm Labourer Glamorgan Coity
Jennet do Wife Mar 70 do do
William do Son Un 26 Collier & Miner do Coychurch
Margaret do Daur Un 24 Maid Servant do do

Jennet looks as if she is still alive in the 1861 census of Penmark, Glamorgan (RG9/4041, folio 98, page 11) and described as a Ag Lab's widow, aged 80, born Coity.

It looks from these census records as if you should definitely concentrate on Coity for the baptisms of both Richard & Jennet.

HTH

Janet

John Nicholas
25-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Elizabeth,

If Janet's suggestion is correct AND we can trust the census ages, the most likely baptism would be Richard Thomas, son of Richard & Margaret, baptised at Coity on 23rd November 1785.

The only Jennet Bevan (or similar) I can see at Coity was baptised in 1772, which seems excessively early.

There's a baptism of William Thomas at Skewen on 12th October 1827 son of Richard Thomas (Copperman) and Jennet. I can't find any match for Margaret.

John

John Nicholas
25-11-2008, 10:42 AM
A couple of others to think about:
Baptism Newcastle (Bridgend) 16th August 1826 Richard Thomas, son of Richard Thomas (Bailiff) and Jennet

Baptism Baglan 24th September 1826 Edward Thomas son of Richard Thomas (Lab) and Jennet

They're probably not both yours, but either could be.

John

Elizabeth
26-11-2008, 6:10 AM
A couple of others to think about:
Baptism Newcastle (Bridgend) 16th August 1826 Richard Thomas, son of Richard Thomas (Bailiff) and Jennet

Baptism Baglan 24th September 1826 Edward Thomas son of Richard Thomas (Lab) and Jennet

They're probably not both yours, but either could be.

John

Hello This is my Edward son of Richard and Jennet Thomas he was bapt. 24 th of Sept. 1826 Swan Baglan. father a labourer. This copy was sent to me by the West Glamorgan Archives. among Edwards children was a Richard and Jennet I think that I have found 10 children for Edward.
I hope that this is of some use to helping you to help me.

Elizabeth:)

janbooth
26-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Had another ferret around and could this be your Richard & Jennet in the 1841 census of Coychurch:

HO107/1422/5, folio 12, page 17
Trebyn

Richard THOMAS 55 Farmer
Jennet do 60
John do 20
Margaret do 15

All born in the county.

And this John seems to be in the 1851 census of Pencoyd and the record above that for Richard and Jennet I posted earlier:

HO107/2461, folio 248, page 25
Trebyn

John THOMAS Head Mar 30 Farm Labourer Glamorgan Coychurch
Margaret do Wife Mar 27 do Lanmaes?
Richard do Son 2 do Coychurch

There is this Edward THOMAS in the 1841 census of Coity:

HO107/1422/7, folio 7, page 7

Anne THOMAS 80 Ind
Edward do 15

Both born in the county. And is this your Edward in the 1851 census of Briton Ferry:

HO107/2463, folio 75, page 2
Graig

Edward THOMAS Head Mar 25 Collier Glamorganshire Baglan
Anne do Wife Mar 22 do Briton Ferry
William do Son Un 3 do Baglan
Marget do Daur 1 month do Briton Ferry

He is still in Briton Ferry in the 1861 census together with wife Ann and 5 children (including a Richard) and in the 1871 census together with wife Ann and 9 children, in Baglan in the 1881 and back in Briton Ferry for the 1891 census. Do you have details or would you like them.

Janet

Elizabeth
28-11-2008, 4:03 AM
I would like to thank you John,Janet and anyone else that helped.:D:D you have given me in searching for Richard and Jennet I want to believe that Richard was born in Neath but I feel that Jennet came from coity if you do find Richard or Jennet on the census please let me know.
Thank you again
I wish you a very Merry Christmas

Regards Elizabeth

aussieshay
18-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Hi Elizabeth,

If you find a stray Mary Thomas somewhere in your line born April 1812 in Coychurch , Glamorgan can you give me a hoy? I've got her as my great x 3 grandmother with no parents and siblings, married to John Sherrah.

I know Thomas is a common name but stranger things have happened...

Regards
Shay

John Nicholas
19-01-2009, 10:02 AM
If you find a stray Mary Thomas somewhere in your line born April 1812 in Coychurch , Glamorgan can you give me a hoy? I've got her as my great x 3 grandmother with no parents and siblings, married to John Sherrah.

I know Thomas is a common name but stranger things have happened...

You're right about Thomas being a common name, Shay! According to the Glamorgan FHS Baptism Index, there was one Mary Thomas baptised every year or so at Coychurch. Strangely, there isn't one in 1812 - 20 Nov 1811 and 16 May 1813 are the closest. The former was the daughter of Thomas & Gwenllian Thomas and the latter was the daughter of Evan Thomas, labourer, and Jane, of Ty'n-y-Waun (part of Coychurch Higher). Why do you think Mary was born in April 1812? By the way, if you want to follow this up, you'd better start a new thread, rather than hi-jack this one.

John

aussieshay
20-01-2009, 10:06 AM
You're right about Thomas being a common name, Shay! According to the Glamorgan FHS Baptism Index, there was one Mary Thomas baptised every year or so at Coychurch. Strangely, there isn't one in 1812 - 20 Nov 1811 and 16 May 1813 are the closest. The former was the daughter of Thomas & Gwenllian Thomas and the latter was the daughter of Evan Thomas, labourer, and Jane, of Ty'n-y-Waun (part of Coychurch Higher). Why do you think Mary was born in April 1812? By the way, if you want to follow this up, you'd better start a new thread, rather than hi-jack this one.

John

It certainly wasn't my intention to hijack this thread, and I apologise if I have caused any consternation by posting improperly.

Regards
Shay