PDA

View Full Version : Jacobs family from Spitalfields

Di&Trev
04-02-2005, 5:29 PM
I have a Samuel Joseph Jacobs born 1822 Spitalfields . He is listed as being the son of a Mr Jacobs and wife Sarah on his later convict records. He was tried 23 Nov 1839 and sentenced to transportation. Ended up in Tasmania with his mother, apparently a widow from convict records, and sisters Betsy, Ann & Rachel, Sarah & May.
My problem is another Jacobs clan, also apparently with parents Mr Jacobs & Sarah. These children are Benjamin dob circa 1836 in the UK, Sarah, John born in Tasmania & George. Children were living in Tasmania when they got married.
So was Mrs Sarah Jacobs a widow when son Samuel was transported? Or did she just carry on having kids with the milkman and said Daddy was Mr Jacobs even though he was deceased.
Or do we have two Mr Jacobs & wife Sarah at the same time, both from Uk and both moving to Tasmania. |banghead|
Does anyone have information regarding this family? Does anyone have access to the trial information or newspaper records of the trial to try to confirm any other family records?
I would very much appreciate help with this conundrum.
Regards
Diane