PDA

View Full Version : advice needed victorian photographs

Raaa
22-11-2008, 9:30 AM
hi i have some late 1800s early 1900s photos taken mostly in jersey of family members but not sure who they are would like to show them but not sure how to do it if i put them on photo bucket will they just see those or my whole collection plus these are not my collection so is there anything i can do so they cant be copied i had great help yesterday but as u have now already relised where photos are concerned i do not know what im doing david|help|:confused:|help|

Procat
22-11-2008, 9:43 AM
No idea about the security side of photo bucket.

As an alternative you can post them to this site in "Your album".

To do this, click on Quick Links, Pictures & albums.

Create an album, upload your photos (limit of 20 per album), name them so they have a unique name and description. Create a new thread (or add to an existing post) and ask people to look there and post any comments.

You will not be able to prevent people from copying them if they wish however.

Raaa
22-11-2008, 9:47 AM
many thanks doug great idea david

Penny Gallo
22-11-2008, 6:44 PM
Just had a look at your new album. You asked for help dating the Victorian ones. I think the carte de visite by Charles P Gee of Weymouth of the young woman in the ruched dress is c 1880-83. This was quite a constricting garment as the skirt often had ties inside to gather the dress closer to the wearer. The mother and baby, where the mother also has ruching and frills on her dress would be about the same date. The half-length portrait of the girl with the very ornamental drop earrings looks earlier, 1870s judging from the bodice and buttons - but as the skirt went through different shapes from 1870-1879, I can't date it more precisely with just the bodice. Hope that is some help. Have you got some names to put to them?

Lesley Robertson
22-11-2008, 7:39 PM
You will not be able to prevent people from copying them if they wish however.

The one thing that you can do with photos online is to keep their resolution fairly low (72dpi is usually good enough for online) so that even if people copy them, they won't be able to do much with them.
Lesley

Raaa
22-11-2008, 7:58 PM
i dont know what dpi is i know the pixel numbers david

MarkJ
22-11-2008, 8:10 PM
Dots per inch :)

What software are you using to turn the photos into a digital image David? If you are scanning them for example, you should find the scanner software will let you scan at a low resolution e.g 72 dpi.

Mark

Raaa
22-11-2008, 8:17 PM
http://resize2mail.com/ david

Raaa
22-11-2008, 8:19 PM
how do i get my scanner to do that david

Lesley Robertson
22-11-2008, 8:20 PM
i dont know what dpi is i know the pixel numbers david

dpi - dots per inch. It's the way they measure the detail in a photo - the higher the number, the more detail you can see. With a low number, you can't enlarge the photo very much before it starts looking grainy. It's used, together with the size of the image, to calculate the pixel dimensions.
I've just been preparing some photos of gravestones for my own website. I want the text legible, so I've made them 96dpi, they're 9 cm high and 6 cm wide, which gives a width of 227 pixels, and a height of 340 pixels.

When I prepare photos for printing or publishing, they're usually 600dpi. If I leave the size as in the first example, this gives pixels of 1420 and 2126, respectively. It also gives a huge file!

If you've got photo software, load a picture and change its filename (so that you don't save over your good one by accident) then play around with your image sizes. Set it for a small size and then zoom in, you'll see what I mean about low resolution.

Lesley

Raaa
22-11-2008, 8:28 PM
many thanks thats a great help thanks for your time as i have some great old pictures which i would like to share and hopefully in the process find out who some of these family members of mine are a few might be just friends of the family david

Procat
23-11-2008, 1:02 AM
I'm guessing that in the one of the dairy the two on the left would be the wife and child of the owner. The one on the right could perhaps be a sister etc or even an employee.

It was common for the people who owned the store to pose in the doorway for photographs.