PDA

View Full Version : Which church?

flounder
20-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi all,

am on a new/old search.
Here goes, Thomas Mann and Ann Lock baptised thier children in a church in Gt Comberton, Pershore, where i dont know, because like a muppet i didnt log it down when some lovely person on here told me, 1st child was baptised in 1846 and last in 1863, any idea in what church these woudve taken place?
Am also trying to find out would any deceased from 1853-1863 wouldve been buriels or cremations, and if so where? They were living around the area at the time.
If i can find out a church i would like to visit and find out a bit more.
Apologies if this is the wrong forum.
Many thanks
Wendy.xxx

Jan1954
20-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Could it be St Michael's (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WOR/GreatComberton/) church?

You can read about St Michael's, Great Comberton, at British History online (http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42856) as well. ;)

Jan1954
20-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Deaths from 1853 to 1863 would probably have resulted in burial.

Have a look at the links in this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37936&highlight=cremation), where a discussion took place recently about cremations.

birdlip
20-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi there,

Great Comberton is on GENUKI. The parish church was/is St Michaels, so presumably the christenings were there. It sounds like a small place so there was probably only one church.

With those dates, I think they'd have been burials, presumably at the same church. Though Pershore is only 2 miles away, so you could look there too. GENUKI will give you a list of other nearby towns and villages, and list all the churches, its a great site, if you don't already use it.

cheers birdlip

flounder
20-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks for your help, looks like i am going to be visiting a few churches at this rate, they were all born in Pershore and christened in Gt Comberton, so it looks like St Michaels for christenings, but could be St Andrews and Holy Cross, in Pershore, am hoping this is just 1 church.
Oh well at least it'll be a day out lol

Thanks Again
Wendy.xxx

JulieW
03-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for your help, looks like i am going to be visiting a few churches at this rate, they were all born in Pershore and christened in Gt Comberton, so it looks like St Michaels for christenings, but could be St Andrews and Holy Cross, in Pershore, am hoping this is just 1 church.
Oh well at least it'll be a day out lol

Thanks Again
Wendy.xxx

Hi there I don't know the churches there, but Pershore is a nice place to visit. A tip when looking around churches, leave a message in the visitors book. We did this recently in several churches around East Sussex and have since had calls from relatives we didn't know of. We are now going to meet up and share family history notes.

Good luck.

JulieW|wave|

idredge
12-12-2008, 8:54 AM
Thanks for that tip, never thought about leaving a message in the visitors book.

Irene

Peter Goodey
12-12-2008, 10:07 AM
any idea in what church these woudve taken place?

All SKS did was look in the IGI. Clicking the Source Call Number brings up the source details. GenUKI can be used to confirm the dedication which was indeed St Michael.

If all you have is index entries, you may find it a more productive use of your time to visit the Record Office rather than the churches