PDA

View Full Version : Navy to Army?

Jan1954
19-11-2008, 9:25 PM
Arthur Alexander Ottley was born in 1897.

I have a wedding photograph that was taken in September 1914, where he is one of the guests and is wearing a sailor's uniform. So, he would have been about 17.

I may have found him in the British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920, where there is an Arthur A Ottley, who was awarded Victory and British medals, by the looks of things.

My question is: would it be common/usual for a chap to start off in the Navy and then transfer to the Army back in those days?

Thank you,

Geoffers
19-11-2008, 9:40 PM
Arthur Alexander Ottley was born in 1897.
I have a wedding photograph that was taken in September 1914, where he is one of the guests and is wearing a sailor's uniform. So, he would have been about 17. I may have found him in the British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920, where there is an Arthur A Ottley, who was awarded Victory and British medals, by the looks of things. My question is: would it be common/usual for a chap to start off in the Navy and then transfer to the Army back in those days?

It's possible, but I wouldn't say common. Was he an Officer in the RN? - Or does he appear in the registers of Seamen's Services on documentsonline?

Is it definitely RN uniform?

Jan1954
19-11-2008, 9:55 PM
It's possible, but I wouldn't say common. Was he an Officer in the RN? - Or does he appear in the registers of Seamen's Services on documentsonline? Thank you Geoffers - I never know where to begin with anything faintly connected to the Services. I will scurry off to have a look, but in the photograph, he is not wearing officer's uniform.

Is it definitely RN uniform?Ummm - I think so... I am unable to post the photograph, as my scanner is not currently connected.

The uniform is dark in colour, with a dark sailor's collar with white edging to it - that is, with a dark border, if you see what I mean. Underneath this, is worn a white, round-neck top - today's equivalent would be a tee-shirt. A white lanyard is also worn.

He is wearing a sailor's hat - dark band with a white top. There is a badge on the hat, but never in a million years would it be possible to make it out - too fuzzy. No arm badges are visible - hidden by the other guests.

Neil Wilson
19-11-2008, 9:59 PM
Could it be a sea scout's uniform or a sort of a naval cadets?

Geoffers
19-11-2008, 10:21 PM
I would expect his RN uniform to look something like this photo on TNA's document's online (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp)

The RN was popular at the time and as such people sometimes dressed up (especially thir children) in something approaching a naval uniform. I have a photo of my grandfather aged about 12 in something similar to a Navy uniform - his dad was a Lt.Cmdr RN.

To answer Finbar's suggestion (which I also considered until checking the medal card index), if he had been in the Royal Naval Division then this should be shown on the index. The chap found by Jan is shown as being in the London Regt.

Jan1954
19-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Could it be a sea scout's uniform or a sort of a naval cadets? Who knows, Neil? I will have to see if I can find the uniforms to compare, but certainly a thought. Thanks.

Hi Jan.

Is it possible he served in the Royal Naval Division? See:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royalnavaldivision.asp

This may have entitled him to the medals you mention.

Finbar.Hi Finbar, I had a look earlier, but he was not mentioned. Thanks all the same.

georgeyone
19-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi Jan
He may have served his time in the navy come out and joined the army I have a cousin who did just that he was in the naval cadets then seved six years in the royal navy came out couldn't stand civy street and after 2 years joined the army and served 13 years so it is possible.

Paul

Jan1954
19-11-2008, 10:30 PM
I would expect his RN uniform to look something like this photo on TNA's document's online (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp) That's the uniform! Thank you, Geoffers.

The RN was popular at the time and as such people sometimes dressed up (especially thir children) in something approaching a naval uniform. Nope, Big A (as my Gran called him) is definitely a young adult and the group photograph places him amongst the bridesmaids and their "partners". Arthur and my Gran married in 1923 - divorced in 1926...

I know of no reason as to why he would have dressed up.

Ho, hum... It is always possible that he stayed in the Navy and the A A Ottley that I found in the Army is a different person altogether...

One of life's little mysteries, perhaps.

Thanks for your replies, chaps.

Geoffers
19-11-2008, 11:04 PM
It is always possible that he stayed in the Navy and the A A Ottley that I found in the Army is a different person altogether...

Freebmd has two Arthur A OTTLEYs born in London at the end of the 19th Century

1897 Arthur Alexander OTTLEY
1899 Arthur Alfred OTTLEY

So it might well be two different chaps

Jan1954
19-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Freebmd has two Arthur A OTTLEYs born in London at the end of the 19th Century

1897 Arthur Alexander OTTLEY
1899 Arthur Alfred OTTLEY

So it might well be two different chapsThanks, Geoffers. I was beginning to think that too. Based upon what you have all been saying, that seems to be the more probable. Oh well - back to the drawing board :)