PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with IGI

Raffaele
19-11-2008, 7:42 PM
Having read the notes and treating LDS submitted records with total mistrust I am able to make some progress with Google Maps open. Around 1800 and before I am mindful that travel for most people of more than a couple of miles was limited to droving and the like. Marriages should therefore be pretty local.

My Family was in Lingfield, Surrey at the 1841 census which is just over the border and about a mile from East Grinstead where my John Mitchell I believe was born in 1807. Extracted record and fits perfectly. His father is listed as Henry Mitchell. Another extracted record Henry Mitchell born 1766 East Grinstead. He is a bit old but may have fathered a lot of children. His record lists John Mitchell as his father and another extracted record turns up for John as born East grinstead 1729. Another 37 year gap.

It is all very plausible, but am I missing something here. How can I prove these relationships?

Help!

Geoffers
19-11-2008, 7:57 PM
My Family was in Lingfield, Surrey at the 1841 census which is just over the border and about a mile from East Grinstead where my John Mitchell I believe was born in 1807.

Did John MITCHELL survive to the 1851 census? If so, where does that record his birthplace?

In the 1851 census, if he or his widow is alive and with their children - do the names and ages match up with the 1841 census?

It is all very plausible, but am I missing something here. How can I prove these relationships?

The basic tool for tracing a family before the start of civil registration is to look at the original (or fiche/film copies) of parish registers - or if that is impossible, see if there are transcripts of the registers available.

The detail recorded in parish registers varies over time and between parishes and quality of register can also be variable, some having been attacked by rats and suffered water and or fire damage, and some having been cut. But they still remain fascinating reading.

Don't just look at baptisms and/or marriages - also check for burials. Don't just look for individuals, record every event relating to a name you are researching.

If you cannot get Sussex, one other way to view the registers (or the annual copy made) is to see if a film copy can be hired via a local mormon church (LDS) record centre.

Peter Goodey
19-11-2008, 7:57 PM
I think you may be forgetting that the IGI is an index. You already know about Lingfield. Now you have a pointer towards a possible connection in East Grinstead.

I think you really need to get down to some serious study of the parish registers themselves.

Astoria
19-11-2008, 8:06 PM
Just a couple of weeks ago I checked the IGI references for a member on this forum, at my local records office, using the Bishop's transcripts on film, some were correct - others not, changing their tree without a doubt.

The IGI is a good starting point, it can give us clues, but check everything you find with certificates or parish registers.

I know this not easy if you live hundreds of miles away, but you can order films through the LDS if you have a family history centre close to you.

Seeing is believing.

Raffaele
19-11-2008, 8:08 PM
Thanks. I see the BG rapid response unit is on the case as always.

Thanks for the averages. It helps to adjust the view of what is reasonable to expect.

So the plan would be to get together as much validated evidence such as extracted records to build as much of a picture as you can, then prove it the hard way. Continue as I am but prepare alternates.

I have one alternate link which has a marriage around 15 miles away around 1800. How likely do the team think this is given my relatives are peasants and were unlikely to have a string of horses.

Where the LDS have the parish records on microfiche, do they still exist here?

Astoria
19-11-2008, 8:14 PM
Here is a short cut I use. Pointed out to me by a forum member.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0

chuck in a name and see what happens.

Marie C..
19-11-2008, 8:16 PM
Fifteen miles was walkable, rideable, and cartable. M

Astoria
19-11-2008, 8:44 PM
Probably swimmable too Marie, I love 'able' words.

Rubina
19-11-2008, 8:55 PM
I agree that 15 miles was definitely do-able either on foot or cart.

Marie C..
19-11-2008, 8:59 PM
So do I Astoria.

Raffaele,
It was a coachable distance too.
I have Surrey Burials incl Lingfield if you should you need.
M

Raffaele
19-11-2008, 9:18 PM
Marie and all, thanks for all the advice. I will bear in mind you have the Lingfield burials and get back later if I may when I have developed my plan and pulled together all I want.

Are those distances normal miles or Cornwall miles. The family was Cornish untill I traced them to Essex.

Thanks

BeeE586
20-11-2008, 2:48 PM
Here is a short cut I use. Pointed out to me by a forum member.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0

chuck in a name and see what happens.

A new one for me - thank you

Eileen

Astoria
20-11-2008, 7:35 PM
Cheers guys |hug|

pmouritsen
21-11-2008, 7:34 PM
One useful feature of the IGI that many people are not aware of is that it is possible to look at all records extracted from a particular source, such as a parish record or bishops transcript. This often helps when trying to locate other relatives who lived in the same area.

At the bottom of the IGI record is a batch number. Just go to the familysearch website. Under the tab for "Search Records" choose "Advanced Search." Enter the region and the batch number.

NickM
22-11-2008, 10:59 AM
A new one for me - thank you

Eileen

Me too ! Thanks Astoria ! :)