PDA

View Full Version : is that all?

pete ash
16-11-2008, 6:37 PM
hi all, i,ve just located a marriage on scotlandspeople in 1836. Having bought credits and downloaded image all i got was the names of bride and groom and the area of residence.No parents,ages or witnesses.
Is this just a transcript or the actual parish record?
pete.

Lesley Robertson
16-11-2008, 6:57 PM
hi all, i,ve just located a marriage on scotlandspeople in 1836. Having bought credits and downloaded image all i got was the names of bride and groom and the area of residence.No parents,ages or witnesses.
Is this just a transcript or the actual parish record?
pete.

BMDs started in Scotland in 1855. As I've said in the sticky on using SP at the top of this forum, what you get in the Parish registers depends very much on the Minister at the time. Some gave lots of detail, others gave minimal amounts - I have one record where the Minister didn't even give the name of the bride - just "[groom's name] was married this day". If what you have is the image of a handwritten page, that's all the record there is for that wedding.
In your place, I'd use another few credits to check the 1841 census for the happy couple.
Lesley

pete ash
16-11-2008, 7:05 PM
thanks lesley, got all the census for them but was hoping for parents names to find baptism records. another dead end.
pete

Lesley Robertson
16-11-2008, 7:07 PM
thanks lesley, got all the census for them but was hoping for parents names to find baptism records. another dead end.
pete

I've had a lot of luck with the death certs of late 18th and early 19th century people.... Unless they died among folk who didn't know them, parents names should be there.
Lesley

Rubina
16-11-2008, 7:40 PM
I've had a lot of luck with the death certs of late 18th and early 19th century people.... Unless they died among folk who didn't know them, parents names should be there.
Lesley

Oooooh good thinking Lesley - I'm onto them (sorry to hijack this!)

Rubina