PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Immigration Service and ???

Sandra Parker
16-11-2008, 7:35 AM
Docket? 54, 3rd Class Vol 2 Page 173, departing on 29th April 1929 and there's not much more I can read.

It is is emmigration record of my husband's parents, William and Doris Parker. They left Cheadle, Cheshire bound for Toronto, possibly on the SS Athenia.
I know they returned to England at the end 1930 and went back to Canada in 1931, before returning to England permanently in 1932. I have a copy of the paper work for these trips, but haven't got a clue about the contents of this page.

Can anyone decipher the ship's name, port of embarkation and destination, plus any other relevant info? It is a really poor reproduction.
I can send a copy of the original if that's needed.

Sandra with the spectacled aura.

Procat
16-11-2008, 8:10 AM
Hi Sandra,

Findmypast tells me:

Date of departure: 19 April 1929
Port of departure: Liverpool
Passenger destination port: Quebec, Canada
Passenger destination: Quebec, Canada
Ship: Athenia
Official Number: 146330
Master's name: James Black
Steamship Line: Cunard
Where bound: Montreal, Canada
Square feet: 23291
Registered tonnage: 8118
Passengers on voyage: 205

Parker, Wm, Last address 6 Old Rood???, Twist??? Dale, Stockport, 3rd class, Destination Quebec, Operator, 28
Parker, Doris, Wife, 26

Mary Anne
16-11-2008, 1:31 PM
Sandra

Checked the image on Ancestry and it is totally overexposed. The one on findmypast is obviously better if Procat can read that much from it!

On the Library and Archives Canada site there is a microfilm refence for the Immigration record:

Surname: Parker Given Name: William
Sex: M
Nationality: En
Date of Arrival: 1929/04/29 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Ship: ATHENIA, Anchor Donaldson
Reference: RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series C-1-a
Volume: 1929 volume 2
Page Number: 173
Microfilm reel: T-14751

And there's a corresponding record for Doris.

According to the information on this database: "A series of old nominal indexes exist for the 1925 to 1935 records. In cooperation with LAC, the Pier 21 Society in Halifax, Nova Scotia, has input the information from the passenger list indexes into this database." I am therefore not certain there is any more information that will be seen from this record, if you looked at the microfilm. If nothing else, it confirms the ship and arrival date.

Mary Anne

Sandra Parker
16-11-2008, 7:57 PM
Thanks . Mary Anne and Procat that's the one. It was really the dates/ship I was after.
I am trying to sort out why they went to Canada in 1929, back to England 1930, returned to Canada, as 'returning Canadians' in 1931 and then left again in 1932.
The family always seemed to think they went to Canada once, staying for some considerable time.
Doris' mother and her sister had emigrated to Canada in 1923, (no connection there previously as far as we can ascertain), following the death of their husband/father. Doris' mother eventually returned to England, but the daughter stayed permanently in Canada.
Once again, many thanks
Sandra