PDA

View Full Version : Heseltine family of Great Warley

shelwin
02-02-2005, 2:07 PM
Evelyn Heseltine lived in what is now the New World Hotel by the church in Great Warley, and was a well-known and respected stockbroker. he built the church for the village in 1902/4.

He is a cousin of mine, but I know nothing about him. Could anyone with some local history please enlighten me? There is a picture of him in the church, but that's about all I know, apart from the fact he was a benefactor to many local institutions in the area.

Peggy
02-02-2005, 3:39 PM
Have you checked him on the census? He was 50 in 1901, and had quite a few servants.
Some googling produces:

1) " 'Goldings,' the house now known as The New World Hotel, was bought by Evelyn Heseltine in 1876, and was the beginning of the development of a large manorial estate, somewhat feudal in concept."

2) A post to the Heseltine message board from a John Robert Heseltine, an artist, who appears to be from a branch of the family. The post is 2 years old, so there's no telling if the address, [email protected], is still good.

Cheers,

Peggy

shelwin
02-02-2005, 4:18 PM
Thanks for such a prompt reply. Indeed I know of Goldings, but how much is left of the original cottage I don't know. I gather that there was a fairly disasterous fire at the hotel some years back. What the estate was I don't know, although he did build 10 (I think) new cottages for "married men", which I presume were for estate/farm workers - hence the comment "feudal in concept"! He also gave money and supported local 'institutions'.

I've visited the church, quite breathtaking if you like the arts and craft movement, and went to a concert there of Peter Warlock's music for the centenary of the church. Peter Warlock was Philip Heseltine, Evelyn's nephew.

Yes, great excitement as John Robert, although not from Evelyn's branch of the family, comes from a branch we all thought was lost. We have common great grand-fathers (although there is a one generation difference) and his side of the family comes from a second marriage. We hope to meet sometime later in the Spring.

There were two families of Heseltines involved in stockbroking, with two firms involving that name. One was Heseltine, Powell & Co, but, again, nothing seems to remain of their histiry - even the Stock Exchange seems unable to help with records.

So, again, many thanks. If you come across something more, I'd be very grateful.

Edwin Macadam
Oxford,
UK

Peggy
02-02-2005, 4:51 PM
[If you come across something more, I'd be very grateful.]

Hi Edwin,

Not likely, as I'm on the other side of the Pond. :)

Wouldn't a wealthy stockbroker and philanthropist have been listed in "Who's Who" or equivalent books? And what about an obituary for him? His will?

Regards,

Peggy