PDA

View Full Version : Heseltine family in London 19thC

shelwin
02-02-2005, 1:58 PM
I am researching members of my family in London and Essex.

John Heseltine, born abt 1852, lived in London and was a member of the Stock Exchange, and in 1881 was in Clapton Road, Middlesex.

John Heseltine, his father, born Dec 1823, was also a stockbroker. He died 1885 in Clapton.

John's cousins, Evelyn and Arnold, were both stockbrokers, Evelyn going on to own large properties and an estate at Great Warley, Essex, where he built an Arts & Crafts Movement church in 1902/4 - a must if you haven't seen it.

There was a firm of stockbrokers in the city called Heseltine, Powell & Co., and a second firm with Heseltine in the title, whose name I don't know.
Several others of the family were solicitors.

Arnold was the father of Philip Heseltine, the composer also known as Peter Warlock. Arnold's elder brother was John Postle Heseltine, a well-known artist of his time.

Any information about the stockbroking side of the family, the firms in particular as well as the people, would be greatly appreciated, also the legal side. I have scoured the 1881 census and the IGI, but don't have access at present to the earlier censuses (censi? or is it greek?!)

Many thanks in anticipation!

Aragina
08-02-2005, 5:31 PM
Clara Heseltine 15 Clapton, Middlesex, Daughter
George Heseltine 18 Enfield, Middlesex, Son Clerk in stock exchange
John Heseltine 47 Newington, Surrey, Head member of stock exchange
John Heseltine 19 Enfield, Middlesex, Son clerk in stock exchange
Josephine Heseltine 45 Dublin, Ireland Wife
Josephine Heseltine 11 Homerton, Middlesex,Daughter

Georgina Lodge Clapton Road Hackney

RG10/312 folio 20 page 36 ED 1

Aragina
08-02-2005, 5:48 PM
A H Heseltine 26 Surrey, Daughter
Ann Heseltine 53 Norfolk, Wife
Arnold Heseltine 19 Kent, Son clerk
E Heseltine 55 Middlesex, Head Stockbroker
E P Heseltine 29 Surrey, Daughter
Ed L Heseltine 25 Surrey, Son clerk
Evelyne Heseltine 20 Surrey, Son stokebroker

Harrow Weald

RG10/1325 folio 29 page 3 ed 7

Visably checked the census and it has been transcribed as the Daughters being daughter in law where if fact they are daughter, they just misread Unmarried.

shelwin
14-02-2005, 5:42 PM
Aragina,

Many thanks for looking this up - just one question though, I thought at this time they were at Grosvenor Lodge, ie, where they were living at the time of the 1881 census; I think this may be a slip of the 'pen'.

If you ever get a chance to go back earlier, it might help to clear up a number of mysteries. Also whatever became of john, the son, as he was my gg grandfather, had two families in England and then disappeared completely, rumoured to have gone to Canada, although I cannot find a record of him dying there.

Regards,

Edwin

Clara Heseltine 15 Clapton, Middlesex, Daughter
Clara is a new acquisition; never knew of her existence!

George Heseltine 18 Enfield, Middlesex, Son Clerk in stock exchange
John Heseltine 47 Newington, Surrey, Head member of stock exchange
Head member sounds important!

John Heseltine 19 Enfield, Middlesex, Son clerk in stock exchange
My mystery gg grandfather, by his first wife

Josephine Heseltine 45 Dublin, Ireland Wife
Josephine Heseltine 11 Homerton, Middlesex,Daughter

Georgina Lodge Clapton Road Hackney

RG10/312 folio 20 page 36 ED 1

Aragina
14-02-2005, 9:45 PM
just one question though, I thought at this time they were at Grosvenor Lodge,

Apologies it probably is Grosvenor Lodge but the writing isnt that easy to transcribe :-(

If you ever get a chance to go back earlier, it might help to clear up a number of mysteries.
Sorry I cant get past the 1871 census :-( But if you post on here again giving the address they were in in 1871 somone may be able to help :-)

Also whatever became of john, the son, as he was my gg grandfather, had two families in England and then disappeared completely, rumoured to have gone to Canada, although I cannot find a record of him dying there.,

Did you manage to find John and his family in the 1891 and 1901 census? I did just in case!

Regards

Jenny

shelwin
23-03-2005, 4:59 PM
Apologies it probably is Grosvenor Lodge but the writing isnt that easy to transcribe :-(

Sorry I cant get past the 1871 census :-( But if you post on here again giving the address they were in in 1871 somone may be able to help :-)

I have now confirmed from another source that it was Grosvenor Lodge in 1871 and 1881, and I have found the marriage date of their parents, John Postle Heseltine and Sarah Edmonson in 1866, so the 1861 census wouldn't help.

Did you manage to find John and his family in the 1891 and 1901 census? I did just in case!

Not so far, as I don't have access to these two censuses (censi??). John would have been 39 in 1891, having married Ada Florence Sear(e)s in 1875, produced two sons, 'Bertie' [IGI], thought to be Bertram, b. Hastings 1876, and Frederick John (my gfather) b 1877, and then divorced before 1881. Ada remarried Frank Ledger in jan qtr of 1907, and the two boys took their stepfather's name.

John remarried Ruth Tovell (when?) and had a son by her John Sidney Heseltine, whose son is the painter John Robert Heseltine in Petworth, Sussex, but so far I have none of that family's dates and particulars. There was only one child by this marriage, after which John again disappeared, and is though might have emigrated to Canada.

I have a complete list of addresses from the Canadian telephone service of all the Heseltine families over there and am contemplating sending each a personal letter!! I suspect many of them actually came from Yorkshire, as there were (and still are) several branches of the family up there (but so far not tied in with any of mine!). The earliest I can get back to is Edward Hasletine, who married Anna Maria Burnett in 1750 in St George's Chapel at Hyde Park, but where he came from is not yet known. I will need to post details/queries on various other lists.

Thanks

Edwin M

hesel
30-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi, I was looking around this forum and found your posting about the Heseltine's. I am Heseltine by birth and just thought I would mention that in December I attended a funeral in Essex and I passed a Hotel in Great Warley called "Heseltine Hotel". Since your branch has connections with Great Warley, I just thought I would let you know.

regards Sue

shelwin
04-06-2008, 2:16 PM
Sue,

It was called the Heseltine Hotel when I last visited it, but apparently they have thought better of the name, as it is now called "De Rougement Manor". At one point it was also called the New World Hotel.

The original house was called Goldings, and was the home of Evelyn Heseltine, the uncle of the composer Peter Warlock (Philip Heseltine), and one of my great uncles. Evelyn's daughter Muriel was married in about 1919 to Cecil Henry de Rougement, who in turn had two children, Irving and Denys. The latter was the Rector of the Parish Church at Great Warley between 1951 and 1958.

Speaking of which, do visit the church and admire an outstanding example of one of the few remaining 'art-nouveau' churches there are in England. Built 1902-1904, the land and the cost of the churh was donated by the Heseltine family. I believe the church is open only on Sundays, but contact with the Churchwardens usually elicits the key. Their contact details can be found at http://www.stmary-greatwarley.org.uk/index.htm

Further pictures of the interior can also be found at http://www.shelwin.com/e/Ancestry/Heseltine/Great_Warley_Church/Great_Warley_Church.htm

Edwin

Danny James
29-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi, Are you in anyway related to John Postle Heseltine, Of Kensington, London.. If So I would like to chat to you.. regarding him.. My Email Address is rowancottageholt AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk

Many Thanks
Adrian Lewis

I am researching members of my family in London and Essex.

John Heseltine, born abt 1852, lived in London and was a member of the Stock Exchange, and in 1881 was in Clapton Road, Middlesex.

John Heseltine, his father, born Dec 1823, was also a stockbroker. He died 1885 in Clapton.

John's cousins, Evelyn and Arnold, were both stockbrokers, Evelyn going on to own large properties and an estate at Great Warley, Essex, where he built an Arts & Crafts Movement church in 1902/4 - a must if you haven't seen it.

There was a firm of stockbrokers in the city called Heseltine, Powell & Co., and a second firm with Heseltine in the title, whose name I don't know.
Several others of the family were solicitors.

Arnold was the father of Philip Heseltine, the composer also known as Peter Warlock. Arnold's elder brother was John Postle Heseltine, a well-known artist of his time.

Any information about the stockbroking side of the family, the firms in particular as well as the people, would be greatly appreciated, also the legal side. I have scoured the 1881 census and the IGI, but don't have access at present to the earlier censuses (censi? or is it greek?!)

Many thanks in anticipation!