PDA

View Full Version : Prestwich Asylum

mikeaustin
12-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone,

My grandfather worked at Prestwich asylum in the 1920s. I found out from Manchester Central Library that he left there in 1931, the reason for leaving being given as 'to L.L.'. Does anyone know what this abbreviation might mean?
Thanks, Mike

benny1982
12-11-2008, 5:42 PM
Hi

That is a bit of a teaser. I have tried googling but cannot come up with any really likely explanations to the abbreviation. Maybe it is Long Life or Limited Liability etc.

Ben

Kerrywood
12-11-2008, 8:42 PM
At a guess, he could have moved to another similar institution, so well known that its initials were enough to identify it in the records. How about the Lancashire Lunatic [Asylum]? Just a guess ;)

Kerrywood

mikeaustin
13-11-2008, 9:08 AM
Thanks for the replies. It is certainly possible that my grandfather moved to another asylum as my late father can remember his Dad working as a mental nurse when he (my Dad) was a small boy. My Dad was born in 1928 so probably wouldn't be able to remember this if his Dad ceased to be a mental nurse in 1931. Where was / is the Lancashire Asylum located?

Mike

Geoffers
13-11-2008, 9:20 AM
You might try looking at a Post Office Directory for the early 1930s to see if he had moved from the address where your dad was born. If he had not then it suggests that he worked somewhere nearby.

Did your dad have any younger siblings (after 1931)? If so, what is their dad's occupation then? Does it give any clues?

Could the source actually read 'To.L.h' possibly indicating he worked in a hospital (Liverpool, Lancaster, Leigh??) - or was there some institution at Little Lever?

pat fowles
13-11-2008, 1:53 PM
Hi Mike....could it mean Lily Livered! I remember my Nana using LL on occasion and that was the meaning.