PDA

View Full Version : Oakham

Pollyvent
11-11-2008, 10:44 PM
I have ancesters who lived in Oakham Rutland the surname was Healey. The Healey's that i am decended from Harry Healey later moved to st Pancras then to St Albans where my father and his sister were born and then to Kingslangley in Hertfordshire until his death in about 1953. According to my research his father came or lived in Cornwall.

Pauline

Jan1954
11-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Hello Pauline,

I am the "Bat on the Ground" when it comes to things relating to St Albans, having been born and bred there. Let me know what you are looking for and I will have a rummage for you.

Unable to help with Oakham, though... :o

All the best,

Grandadron
13-11-2008, 1:16 AM
Hi Polly
You sure do get around, I have been offered the position of FreeReg coordinator for Rutland, Why dont you join us. Do you know the religion of your ancestors? I have on order some Non-conformist registers for Oakham, perhaps your Healeys may be on there.
I will keep an eye open for them.

Ron

Pollyvent
14-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi Ron yes love to join you what do i do? My family was either c of e or methodist i'm not sure. I'm following you around lol hope you are having more success than me

Pauline

Grandadron
15-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Hi Polly

Rutland is a very complex county, most records are held at Leicester & Rutland RO, but many others are held by the Northants RO, indeed some are held by Lincolnshire Archives.

The position at FreeReg is also complicated. I have asked for permission from the LEI & RUT office and today was given approval to use the records held by them. Northants have not been so lucky they have not received a reply, even though their request was sent in some time ago. They are having to apply individually to each parish in the county.

Now for the good news bad news syndrome: I believe your preferred parish is Oakham? The good news first, There are non conformist records available to our syndicate, for Oakham, The bad news is that the C of E records for Oakham are not held by Lei RO. and so seperate permissions will have to be sought. I too have an interest in Oakham. So will look into seeking permissions. If you access the LDS site and search the catologue for the parishes in Rutland you will see what non conformist records are available at the National Archives. These can be ordered for transcribers at FreeReg. If you would like to volunteer your services to this worthy cause, you can register via the freeReg home page. An order has already been placed for some non conformist registers for Rutland. If you require any further information please get in touch

Ron