PDA

View Full Version : Editing a thread.

jeeb
11-11-2008, 7:44 PM
Why does the Administrator allow only 5 minutes to edit a thread after posting? This seems a very short time span to be able to notice an error or add extra information?

Jeremy

Pam Downes
11-11-2008, 7:53 PM
Hi Jeremy,
Basically to stop people removing posts to which people have replied.
Discussed in the previous thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37875) to yours! :)
Pam

Added: Some Pams are quicker typists than others. But only just. :)

jeeb
11-11-2008, 8:10 PM
HI both Pams,
Yes I can see that can cause a problem if a thread is later removed. How about a rule to remove members who remove threads without permission?
My apologies for not reading the previous thread upon the subject but the 5 minute limit is not a popular decision either by the replies on it. An hour maybe better?

Jeremy

Lesley Robertson
11-11-2008, 8:22 PM
HI both Pams,
Yes I can see that can cause a problem if a thread is later removed. How about a rule to remove members who remove threads without permission?
My apologies for not reading the previous thread upon the subject but the 5 minute limit is not a popular decision either by the replies on it. An hour maybe better?

Jeremy

You know, adding extra info to an existing message is not a good idea. Few people bother to go back and check the beginning of a thread, they just read the new messages and additional stuff will be missed. If you want to add something, adding it as a reply also bumps the thread back up the "new posts" list.

Lesley

Sue Mackay
11-11-2008, 8:30 PM
You know, adding extra info to an existing message is not a good idea. Few people bother to go back and check the beginning of a thread, they just read the new messages and additional stuff will be missed. If you want to add something, adding it as a reply also bumps the thread back up the "new posts" list.

Lesley

I endorse what Lesley says about adding information. It is better done in a new post. With errors/typos, remember that Super Moderators (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36583)can edit posts at any time. Just send one of us a PM.

Rubina
11-11-2008, 8:41 PM
I hadn't thought to notice how long I did/didn't have to edit a thread! I have done so fairly immediately on a couple of occasions when I have realised that what I had said was incorrect on nonsensical but other than that simply posted a reply.

I agree with what others have said that if you make changes to your original message it's very likely that I would miss those changes as, when following a thread, I will shift down quickly to check the new replies or even go straight to page two.

Also, particularly as a new member, I would be disappointed if threads were deleted too quickly as I have been spending time reading through previous threads and gaining knowledge and finding interesting links on various areas whilst doing so.

Just my thoughts of course!

Robina

Ladkyis
11-11-2008, 9:02 PM
HI both Pams,

Jeremy

Having just re-read that thread I will disagree with you Jeeb. Everyone seemed to accept the reasoning as sensible and there are no complaints that I can see.

jeeb
11-11-2008, 9:02 PM

Lesley

Hi Lesley,
Yes I agree with you there and it would be pointless to add information to a thread even a day old and I only ever have done so if my reply is still the last one listed. What I was finding a nuisance was that if I found further information or a spelling mistake I hadn't noticed in a thread I had recently posted I am unable to alter it after 5 minutes. I still find this annoying as I hate making mistakes. However Bo Peep has explained to me why she has taken the action she has and I accept her reasoning.

Jeremy