PDA

View Full Version : Help with Irish place name

apowell
11-11-2008, 6:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could work out the place of birth of my Great Great Great Grandmother. I found her on the 1851 census Bridget Heacock her husband William living Staffordshire, Rugeley, District 4h. Her place of birth is Ireland Carrick (Cartle? Castle?) Mayo. I've googled different place names in Mayo but can't work out what comes after Carrick.

I'm pretty sure Carrick and Mayo is correct because someone kindly helped me before but we couldn't read the other word.

I could order her marriage certificate but the cost of all these certificates are adding up.

Any ideas?

Kind regards
Adrian

Marie C..
11-11-2008, 7:15 PM
I haven't got 1851 census but name could be just Carrick or Carrowkeribly or Carrowdoogan. These are all in Attymas Co. Mayo .Any use? M

Jan1954
11-11-2008, 7:38 PM
HO107; Piece: 2015; Folio: 400; Page: 11

It certainly looks like the word Castle after the Carrick - although the initial C seems to have been written slightly different.

There is a place called Carrick to the east of County Mayo, but there is also a Carrick Castle, which stands on Achill Island off the far west coast of County Mayo.

Confusing, huh?

Marie C..
11-11-2008, 7:41 PM
I guess it would be Carrick Castle then. M

Elwyn Soutter
11-11-2008, 7:49 PM
Carrick really just means rock eg Carrickfergus - Fergus's rock. So its one of those place names like Newport or Tarbert which pop up all over the place. Ireland is quite well off for rocks,and thus quite well off for Carricks.

Griffiths Valutation has a Bartholomew Croneen at Carrick, Attymas, Mayo. There is another Carrick at Attymas, Mayo.

Elwyn

apowell
12-11-2008, 11:57 AM
|wave|

Oh dear I didn't realise all the different options.

I think for me to trace her back further I'll need to dig into my pocket and order her marriage certifcate (married in England) because it should give more information.

Take care.
Adrian

Hall/Swan
21-11-2008, 2:11 AM
Achill Island

Achill Island is the largest island off the Irish coast popular with tourists joined to the Curraun Peninsula by bridge, wild beautiful scenery, ruined Slievemore deserted village, Slievemore mountain (2205 feet) which has a dolmen and two stone circles on its southern slopes, Croghaun and Minaun mountains, Keel Strand with wind distorted rocks called the Cathedral Rocks, Keem, Dugort, Diooega, Dooagh and Dooiver sandy beaches, Carrick Castle tower, high cliff walks, fishing, rock climbing, windsurfing, surfing, campsites, accommodation, pubs.

kirrane
20-02-2009, 9:44 PM
I respectfully suggest that the place you are looking for is Carracastle, which is near Charlestown, Co. Mayo, not far from Knock airport. "Carracastle" literally means "Castlequarter".

Regards, Michael.

Jan1954
20-02-2009, 9:46 PM
I respectfully suggest that the place you are looking for is Carracastle, which is near Charlestown, Co. Mayo, not far from Knock airport. "Carracastle" literally means "Castlequarter".

Regards, Michael.Michael,

You sound like a very handy chap to have on the forum. ;)

Welcome to Brit-Gen! :D

apowell
21-02-2009, 1:14 PM
Hi Michael,

Well done Sir you're spot on because I have recently received some information from an Irish researcher that suggested the very same place.

I've searched for more information on Carracastle and found some pictures of the place and countryside (looks smashing and I hope to visit someday).

I am unsure about the history of Carracastle and I'm assuming my Kennedy relatives left around the time of the Famine maybe they were farm labourers.

I have been informed that hardly any records survive for Carracastle so I'm unable to investigate further.

Once again many thanks.
Adrian|wave|

kirrane
28-02-2009, 2:49 PM
Adrian. When you say any "records hardly survive" - all the records that were kept survive except for census returns. The 1901 & 1911 census returns survive - you can access the 1901 census for Mayo for free by googling 'leitrim roscommon census 1901' and follow the pointers. You may be different spellings of placenames - it might be best and you may have to leave spaces blank. The 1911 census is not yet fully up on line. The 18th census returns have been largely destroyed - some pulped by British Government and some destroyed in 1922 when the PRO was bombed. Civil registration for R Catholic births, deaths and marriages, did not commence until January 1864. All those are intact. Church registers for baptisms and marriages have varying commencment dates depending on the parish circumstances, e.g. if the priest had living accomodation, if a priest was assigned to a parish etc. Parish records can commence any time between 1780 and 1880 and there may be intervening interruptions again depending on the circumstance prevailling in the parish as mentioned above. Griffith's Valuation (a system for the raising of local taxation) was completed in the 1850's and details lessees of property - one would generally find the name of the lessee but not the names of spouse or children. You should be able to access this for free by googling 'askaboutireland' and clicking on Griffith's Valuation. This site is under construction but is quite good and has maps etc. Again watch out for placename spellings. Placename spellings can be problematic as the the British Authorities anglicised the names having little regard to local pronounciation. The South Mayo Family Heritage Centre can also be helpful. The are on-line but it's generally cheaper to access the information by mailing them directly at Main St., Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo. M