PDA

View Full Version : OPS List?

Neil Reynolds
10-10-2004, 9:49 PM
Is there a list of One Place Studies like there is for One Name Studies?

I ask because there are two places that I possibly have enough information to at least make a start on, but wouldn't want to duplicate the efforts of others. I guess the ideal is a GOOPS to go with the GOONS!

Neil

John
10-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Neil

That's an interesting one Neil, I've never heard of one but can see the use.
Perhaps time for you to set up "gOOPS"

Or could it perhaps be associated with the OPC scheme in some way? They would seem natural bed-fellows.

John

Rod Neep
10-10-2004, 10:37 PM
We touched on this on the mailing list a few weeks ago (since which I have been a bit busy with other things), but what I did do, is register the domain names one-place.org and one-place.org.uk (although as yet, neither are attached to real web pages).

What I would foresee, is a web page with:

Information on how to go about conducting a one-place study, things to be included, etc.
A list of exisiting one-place study web sites, with links to them.
It needn't be anything at all complicated. Just a menu system with countries / counties / places.

And erm... all it needs is someone (or some people) to maintain the site and add new places as and when they come up.

By the way, I don't see any need whatsoever for a "formal" membership.

Regards
Rod

John
10-10-2004, 10:51 PM

Regards
Rod
Heavens no, it needn't be anything very different from a surname interest list, place and contact, maybe web address as well and that would do it.

John

Lesley Robertson
11-10-2004, 9:02 AM

I ask because there are two places that I possibly have enough information to at least make a start on, but wouldn't want to duplicate the efforts of others. I guess the ideal is a GOOPS to go with the GOONS!

Neil
There is a list on John Palmer's web site here. However, I suspect that there's probably more going on that people haven't registered.

Lesley Robertson
11-10-2004, 9:04 AM
We touched on this on the mailing list a few weeks ago (since which I have been a bit busy with other things), but what I did do, is register the domain names one-place.org and one-place.org.uk (although as yet, neither are attached to real web pages).

What I would foresee, is a web page with:

Information on how to go about conducting a one-place study, things to be included, etc.
A list of exisiting one-place study web sites, with links to them.
It needn't be anything at all complicated. Just a menu system with countries / counties / places.

And erm... all it needs is someone (or some people) to maintain the site and add new places as and when they come up.

Regards
Rod
Like Rod, I've been a bit busy (collection of deadlines all at once plus a massive amount of new Whitsome data) since that came up, but if I remember rightly, we even had an offer of a web master...
I'll check the list archives and see who that was.

Neil Reynolds
12-10-2004, 9:55 PM
Thank you Lesley. With the information you've provided, plus your example of Whitsome I now have a much better idea of where to start. Just need to get up and do it now. I'll let this forum know how I get on... but don't hold your breath!

Then there's Rod's open challenge about his domain names to consider... but one thing at a time I feel. ;)

Regards, Neil

Lesley Robertson
13-10-2004, 8:17 AM
Thank you Lesley. With the information you've provided, plus your example of Whitsome I now have a much better idea of where to start. Just need to get up and do it now. I'll let this forum know how I get on... but don't hold your breath!

Then there's Rod's open challenge about his domain names to consider... but one thing at a time I feel. ;)

Regards, NeilIt all takes more time than we think - I'm still sorting out data gathered in a frantic week in Edinburgh in the summer when I actually managed to transcribe a census a day! :D

Patrisia
15-10-2004, 3:54 PM
Hi all,

Just to add that I am still lurking and collecting stuff about Smalley, DBY.
The website is still an embryo:(

Patrisia

Guy Etchells
15-10-2004, 7:07 PM
What I like about a one place study is the way that it connects local history and family history.
I have often felt that it is virtually impossible to study family history without undertaking a certain amount of local history the two walk hand in hand.
Cheers
Guy

John
15-10-2004, 9:08 PM
What I like about a one place study is the way that it connects local history and family history.
I have often felt that it is virtually impossible to study family history without undertaking a certain amount of local history the two walk hand in hand.
Cheers
Guy

It might not be impossible to study family history without getting involved in both local history and geography but it must be very difficult and boring to boot.
How much easier to follow people if you know why they all left that village or moved into this one. Or with an understanding of maps, you can work out which would be the more likely destinations for migrants, they'll take the easy road to the more prospeous destination, rather than scaling vetical climbs with their life on their back, to reach a place no better than that they left.

John

Lesley Robertson
16-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Cheers
Guy
How true!
And local history tends to expand to fill the time available - I started looking at a single house (having seen far too many episodes of House Detectives), and discovered that you just can't isolate one house in a tiny village.... Fortunately, it's only a 2-enumerator's census book parish, so it's manageable.

Guy Etchells
16-10-2004, 12:25 PM
But, how does the village tie in with the surrounding villages and market towns?
A quick look at trade directories (a mine of information) for the area will show how the needs of smaller vllages and hamlets were met by the facilities in the surrounding villages and towns.
This dependency of course is dying out these days where one can simply jump in a car and travel miles at the drop of a hat.
Cheers
Guy

Geoffers
17-10-2004, 2:38 PM
I find that looking into a parish as a whole helps give me a better understanding of the lives of my own family. I also get quite involved in following the lives of various local families. I feel sorry for the three Wright cousins, Charles, John + Samuell who were drowned whilst washing in the river in 1703. I wonder at the reasons for the naming of Mahershalchashbaz Pye in 1722 - what nickname would he have had if he had lvied beyond infancy? Poor little Marian Kent, who died whilst under inoculation in 1773 - whose memorial in the church takes her parents to task for not putting their trust in God. I enjoy following the lives of many individuals as they grow up, get married and have families of their own. The odd notes made by Vicars in the parish registers which give little hints at life through the centuries. It's fascinating.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire