PDA

View Full Version : George Wyatt Rector

jennifer 150
08-11-2008, 3:59 PM
On my 2x great grandmother wedding certificate Eliza Jane Wyatt to John Power Clarke 16th August 1859 it states her father (not living) as George Wyatt a rector and it is somewhere in Yorkshire but can't read where. Eliza was married in Northampton so not sure where they came from.
Is there anyway i can find out about rectors ie is there a list for them.
Sorry to be so ignorant on this matter but would like to find out more about him. Any clues please
jenny

bumblebee
08-11-2008, 4:03 PM
Always worth a look here

http://www.theclergydatabase.org.uk/cce/apps/index.html

Bumblebee

bumblebee
08-11-2008, 4:18 PM
Have you found them married on the census as this will give you an idea of Eliza's birthplace.

Bumblebee

daggers
08-11-2008, 4:40 PM
The reference to 'Boase' in the previous post is probably Boase's Bigraphical Dictionary, which should be available in a large city or county reference library. It might have more than the details quoted from it.
D

arthurk
08-11-2008, 8:01 PM
George Wyatt and his wife were buried in Burghwallis, along with two of their daughters (unmarried). There was another Wyatt female buried there, but I couldn't see anything to indicate if she was part of the same family or not. (Source: various Doncaster FHS publications)

Arthur

jennifer 150
09-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Thankyou to all the people who replied to me it was most helpful and Finbar i think you are right with the name Burghwallis. I can just make out a few letters and i have never heard of the place before.
And Arthurk would it have had the name of his wife and daughters buried at Burghwallis?
Also could someone tell me what a rector does. Is it similar to a Vicar?
Regards
jenny

daggers
09-11-2008, 1:18 PM
Nowadays there is no meaningful distinction between a vicar and a rector, but in earlier times it had much to do with the tithe system, a form of taxation now abolished. Both could be described as parish priest.
D

arthurk
09-11-2008, 7:33 PM
And Arthurk would it have had the name of his wife and daughters buried at Burghwallis?

His wife was Eliza Ann, who was buried in 1859 aged 79, "of Hatfield". The daughters were Isabella Sarah (1850, aged 32) and Jessica Jemima (1846, aged 27). The other Wyatt was Margaret Ann (1860, aged 47, of Doncaster).

Arthur

Rosebud1
07-01-2009, 7:22 PM
Jennifer, George Wyatt was my GGGgrandfather ,I have been researching my family ancesters for a couple of years now ,but I have never heard of Burghwallis , where is that ? where did you find this information at ? as I would love to see it ,I'm new to this web site ......Rosebud1

Rosebud1
07-01-2009, 7:45 PM
Jennifer, I was reading your blog on Eliza Jane Wyatt , Eliza was born and Christened June 11, 1820 ,there were other children also / John Wyatt ..born August 10, 1806 / Sarah Wyatt ...born December 3, 1810 / Eliza Wyatt ..born June 11, 1820 and William Wyatt ..born October 12, 1823 ....their father's name was John Wyatt also ,he was born December 7, 1783 ,he married Mary Hawks [no birth date] August 19, 1804 in Kiddeminster, Worcestershire, England, the first John that was born in 1783 ...his father's name was Thomas Wyatt [my GGGGgrandfather] he was born in 1751 in Old Swinford, Worcestershire, England he married Mary Hill March 23, 1776 ....hopes this information helps you /I have a lot more if you are interested ,as I said these people are my ancesters .....Rosebud1

arthurk
07-01-2009, 7:56 PM
Hi Rosebud1

Looks like Jennifer hasn't dropped in for a few days, so I can tell you that Burghwallis is a small village in the West Riding of Yorkshire (modern administrative county = South Yorkshire), about 6 miles NNW of Doncaster. You should find Doncaster on most maps, and if they have road numbers, look in the middle of the angle between the A1 and A19.

Arthur

Rosebud1
07-01-2009, 8:37 PM
Arthur , you have it wrong about Isabella ,being Eliza's daughter ....Eliza's mother was Mary Hawks , Mary Hawks married John Wyatt /born 1783 /she was born July 11, 1779 /they were married August 19, 1804 ..they had several children / Susanna Wyatt ..born November 4, 1804 , John Wyatt ..born August 10, 1806 [my GGGgrandfather] , Ann Wyatt ..born 1808 and Christened September 30, 1810 , Sarah Wyatt ..born December 3, 1810,Eliza Wyatt ..born June 11, 1820 and William Wyatt ..born October 12, 1823 all born in Old Swinford , Worcestershire, England , it was posted that George Byron Wyatt and his wife Isabella Hougham Wyatt was buried in Burghwallis , that's not true , George Byron Wyatt ,Isabella Wyatt [maiden name Hougham]my GGGgrandparents ] , Homer Winter Wyatt and Ulma Wyatt [maiden name Dabney....my grandparents are buried in Stonie Point Cementary , Beebe , Arkansas ...Rosebud1

Rosebud1
07-01-2009, 8:46 PM
Hi Rosebud1

Looks like Jennifer hasn't dropped in for a few days, so I can tell you that Burghwallis is a small village in the West Riding of Yorkshire (modern administrative county = South Yorkshire), about 6 miles NNW of Doncaster. You should find Doncaster on most maps, and if they have road numbers, look in the middle of the angle between the A1 and A19.

Arthur

Thank you for that information on where Burghwallis is located , I have never heard of it before , hope my blog to you helps also ...Rosebud1

arthurk
07-01-2009, 8:52 PM
Yes, looking at it now, I see that the memorial describes Isabella Sarah and Jessica Jemima as "his" (George's) two youngest daughters, not "theirs". And the wife (widow) buried in Burghwallis was Eliza Ann. I must have misoverintepretated in thinking that George married only once and she was Isabella's mother.

Hopefully you and Jennifer can compare notes on this - I have no connection, only access to some of the Doncaster FHS publications (which I can recommend, by the way).

Arthur

jennifer 150
08-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Sorry have not been looking on the site for a while and look what has been going on in my absence. Rosebud and Arthur i am glad you seem to have cleared up any differences.
Rosebud i will get back to you.
Happy New Year
Jenny

Rosebud1
10-01-2009, 5:38 PM
Jennifer, have you gone to a web site called Genealogy.com? it is also very good and has helped me find a lot of my family information ,before I found this web site ,I still go back and search ...one can't get enough free web sites . Go there ..log in and put your blog in and where the person is you want to find ...[what country ....England ? ...ect ect. ] I will put one in for you as well , let me know .....good luck ! ......Rosebud1

jennifer 150
11-01-2009, 1:00 PM
Thanks Rosebud
No i have not come accross genealogy.com so will take a look.
Did you get my private message i sent you?
jenny

Rosebud1
12-01-2009, 2:34 AM
Jennifer, no I missed your private message as I cleared my folder ,I didn't know you sent me one ,please send it again ..have you tryed Genealogy .com yet ? it is wonderful and it goes all over the world ,I have blogs in Ohio , California ....a bunch of places looking for my ancestors ,I have got back to the year 1751 ,but want to get back futher if possible ...hope to hear from you soon ....Rosebud1

Rosebud1
28-02-2009, 2:07 AM
|5cups|Hi Jennifer, this may help you or not ,but, my Great grandfather's name was George B. Wyatt and I show a Eliza Wyatt in my line of ancestors ,if this is the same Eliza ,you are looking for ,as I know there are several lines of Wyatt's out there ,here is her story ... Eliza Wyatt was born June 11, 1820 ,her father's name was John Wyatt ..born December 7, 1783 /died 1829 / her mother's name was Mary Hawkes ..born July 11, 1779 . I hope this is the same Eliza Wyatt ,you are looking for ,if so ,I have a lot more information on her , this line of Wyatt was from Worcester, England ....Rosebud1 |wave| |5cups|

jennifer 150
01-03-2009, 8:41 AM
Hi Rosebud
Have just had an update from you re Eliza Wyatt.
I do not think the one you mentioned is my one as her father was George on her wedding certificate and your Eliza you say her father was John but thanks anyway.
jenny

Rosebud1
02-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Jennifer ,any time I can help you ,I will , sorry this time was the wrong information ,maybe next time |hug| |wave| |woohoo|

Rosebud1
02-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Jennifer, I will help you any time I can ,sorry this was the wrong person you were looking for ,maybe next time ....Rosebud1 |hug| |woohoo| |wave|