PDA

View Full Version : william stephen and jane clarke

LYNETTE
06-11-2008, 12:33 AM
hi everyone , could anyone help with ,
william stephen married jane clarke in scotland , they had a child john stephen who married jane fotheringhame and john and jane had a son david stephen born btween 1830 and 1837 who married elizabeth malcolm....the info i would like is on william and jane and john and jane i think they came from skene scotland ....cheers to all lyn....

MarkJ
06-11-2008, 12:56 AM
A rough time scale would help other members to help track down further information Lyn.

Any idea when they were married, or when the children were born?

Mark

LYNETTE
06-11-2008, 2:27 AM
hi mark and sorry about not putting the info on...i only have one birth date and its for david stephen born between 1830 and 1837 , sorry i havent got more info , i just took pot luck and put on incase somebody recognised the names ....cheers lyn

MarkJ
06-11-2008, 3:10 AM
No worries - at least that is a starting point :)

With them being from Scotland, I suspect Lesley or one of our other Scotland researchers will be able to point you in the right direction :)

Mark

Lesley Robertson
06-11-2008, 12:04 PM
No worries - at least that is a starting point :)

With them being from Scotland, I suspect Lesley or one of our other Scotland researchers will be able to point you in the right direction :)

Mark

I see that David Stephen married Elisabeth Malcolm on 19 Oct 1861 in Skene, Aberdeenshire. This doesn't necessarily mean that they were Skene born an bred - one of them might have been, or they might just have been working there.
I can't see a possible birth for David as yet - the nearest has mother Jane May. I think that your next move should be to get that marriage certificate - it will confirm the parents names, give father's occupations, give the current (on the wedding day) residences of the bride and groom and, most importantly for pre-1855 ressearch, tell you what religious denomination they were. Scotlands People is based on the registers of the Church of Scotland, and people from non-conformist denominations do not always appear - whether or not he recorded events for parisioners using churches other than his was entirely at the whim of the Minister. Look for david & Elizabeth in the 1871 census - that will confirm their birth parishes.

I was rather hoping that we could track death certs for David's parents - after all, if they had a child in the 1830s, they could have easily lived until 1855. However, the only Jane Forthingham-Stephen a quick search turns updied in 1936 at the age of 39. In your place, I'd always check Steven(s) as well. It's certainly worth looking for them in the 1851 and 1841 census.

Good luck, let us know what denomination they were,
Lesley

LYNETTE
06-11-2008, 9:49 PM
I see that David Stephen married Elisabeth Malcolm on 19 Oct 1861 in Skene, Aberdeenshire. This doesn't necessarily mean that they were Skene born an bred - one of them might have been, or they might just have been working there.
I can't see a possible birth for David as yet - the nearest has mother Jane May. I think that your next move should be to get that marriage certificate - it will confirm the parents names, give father's occupations, give the current (on the wedding day) residences of the bride and groom and, most importantly for pre-1855 ressearch, tell you what religious denomination they were. Scotlands People is based on the registers of the Church of Scotland, and people from non-conformist denominations do not always appear - whether or not he recorded events for parisioners using churches other than his was entirely at the whim of the Minister. Look for david & Elizabeth in the 1871 census - that will confirm their birth parishes.

I was rather hoping that we could track death certs for David's parents - after all, if they had a child in the 1830s, they could have easily lived until 1855. However, the only Jane Forthingham-Stephen a quick search turns updied in 1936 at the age of 39. In your place, I'd always check Steven(s) as well. It's certainly worth looking for them in the 1851 and 1841 census.

Good luck, let us know what denomination they were,
Lesley

thankyou lesley.... i will check the census and see what i can find out ...thankyou for steering me in the right direction ...im only new at this and i need all the advise i can get ...cheers and thanx lyn