PDA

View Full Version : Can you date this photo?

Neil Wilson
05-11-2008, 9:06 PM
I have a photograph of a relation, but I just don't know when it was taken. Any clues?
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/neilfwilson/B-G/AW.jpg

Geoffers
05-11-2008, 9:17 PM
I have a photo of my Gt. grandparents and grandfather, in which the adults are wearing an almost identical style of clothing. My photo can be dated to 1905, give or take a year.

Like Finbar I have a photo of my gt-grandfather also wearing similar style clothing - the photo is dated 1910. So perhaps yours might be dated to the first decade of the 20th century?

Neil Wilson
05-11-2008, 9:22 PM
Thanks for the replies, I had a problem as it was sent to me 'named' but I couldn't work out which one of the 3 of those names it was. The dates cancel one out (deceased) and one was only just born so it must be the middle of the three (why are they all called after their father).
Cheers

pipsqueak
05-11-2008, 10:29 PM
What a refreshing change to see someone in an old photograph who is actually smiling!

Lesley Robertson
05-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the replies, I had a problem as it was sent to me 'named' but I couldn't work out which one of the 3 of those names it was. The dates cancel one out (deceased) and one was only just born so it must be the middle of the three (why are they all called after their father).
Cheers

I have one that's slightly earlier than the others, but with similar clothes. It includes Great Uncle George who died at Magersfontein in 1899.

Could at least one have been called for their grandfather of the same name?

Lesley

arthurk
06-11-2008, 8:14 PM
If I've understood them correctly, the notes in a book I have on dating old photographs seem to suggest a date in the 1890s.

Arthur

Marie C..
06-11-2008, 9:30 PM
Arthur I agree. I do think it's earlier than 1905 but these were country folk and maybe didn't care so much for fashion. It's a lovely relaxed sort of photo.M

pejay
07-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Looking at this photo I think it is roughly about 1895 -1900 though I could be wrong :)

DebbyG
07-11-2008, 12:34 PM
links deleated

Geoffers
07-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Just came across these links, i've not tried them but may be of some use

I think that you do need to check the links. The second one doesn't work, and if you select the first link and then 'enter the store' the ladies there are definitely not wearing period costume, at least I can't remember seeing a photo of Queen Vic in similar dress.

DebbyG
07-11-2008, 2:08 PM
my goodness |blush| my apologies. I've deleated the links as i wouldn't want to offend anyone |idea|

I found the links on the National Archieve site too |scold|

note to self "always check links first"

Debby

Geoffers
07-11-2008, 3:57 PM
my goodness |blush| my apologies. I've deleated the links as i wouldn't want to offend anyone

Worry not, briefly brightened my day.

Neil Wilson
07-11-2008, 7:33 PM
What a refreshing change to see someone in an old photograph who is actually smiling!
Now you can see where my smile comes from :D

Thanks to everyone else.