PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Henry Brooks at Mapledurham

JenniLl
05-11-2008, 3:36 PM
|banghead|Thomas Henry Brooks died at The Chase Cottage, Mapledurham on 6th September 1951 aged 68years. He was a retired chauffeur / gardener.

He married his wife Jessie nee Mansell (single aged 56years) on 15th October 1942, his first wife having died in 1941.

At the time of his second marriage he was living in Edmonton, London.

So far we have failed to identify where THB was buried (or cremated) I have not searched the Parish register for Mapledurham.

Can anyone help regarding either The Chase Cottage or know anything of Jessie.

Many thanks

Marie C..
05-11-2008, 4:44 PM
Mapledurham House and estate was/is owned by the Blount family. It lies North of Reading in Berkshire between Pangbourne and Caversham. Your fellow may well have been employed by the estate and lived in one of their cottages. The estate church is St. Margarets.
Depending on where he died he may have been buried in the Henley Road cemetery in Caversham. Assume you have his death cert since you know where he died . There is a Record Office in Reading . They have the Mapledurham Civil Parish Records , 1894-1984 there. Address 9 Coley Ave. Reading Berks e mail: ARCH AT Reading DOT gov DOT uk. M

JenniLl
06-11-2008, 8:38 AM
Marie,
Thank you for your help.

Thomas died at home in The Chase Cottage. We have ascertained that he is not buried at Henley Road.
As yet I await a response to my query as to whether he worked at the Mapledurham Estate - in fact I need to ask again.

When I was at the Surrey Open Day on Saturday last, the very helpful volunteer says that the Parish Records that I require are still held in the Parish.

I will ring the RO at Reading to find out what records they hold that may help.

Meanwhile I hope that someone else reading this thread may also be able to help.
:)

Peter Goodey
06-11-2008, 8:53 AM
I will ring the RO at Reading to find out what records they hold that may help.

Mapledurham is in Oxfordshire.

Geoffers
06-11-2008, 9:05 AM
Thomas Henry Brooks died at The Chase Cottage, Mapledurham on 6th September 1951 aged 68years. He was a retired chauffeur / gardener.....So far we have failed to identify where THB was buried (or cremated)

Did he leave a will giving his wishes for the disposal of his body?

Can anyone help regarding either The Chase Cottage

I don't know - but - I wonder if it is connected with, or near Chazey Wood, just to the SE of the village?

Have you tried searching the Royal Mail address finder?

Marie C..
06-11-2008, 9:11 AM
Yes Mapledurham is in Oxfordshire but Reading RO holds some records for Mapledurham
And the Henley Rd cemetery though it takes the dead from Reading and surrounds is actually in the Parish of Eye and Dunsden which is Oxon. Pangbourne(close to Mapledurham is in Berks )The borders run hither and thither.
I lived there for 20 years and knowCaversham/ Mapledurham and the areas around quite well. M

Peter Goodey
06-11-2008, 9:29 AM
From Berkshire Record Office's online catalogue -

Mapledurham St Margaret / OXFORDSHIRE All records at Oxfordshire Record Office

Marie C..
06-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Church records yes.
But he may not have been buried there. 1951.
From Taunton one can take a day return to Reading.
Bus/taxi to Mapledurham, a walk around the estate and village and a look in the churchyard.
It will be nice quiet at this time of year.

JenniLl
06-11-2008, 5:46 PM
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Bob, my husband (THB's Grandson) and me will be heading towards Mapledurham when we have a spare day - or preferably two.

Wendy Archer
08-11-2008, 9:00 AM
Jenni -

When I was at the Surrey Open Day on Saturday last, the very helpful volunteer says that the Parish Records that I require are still held in the Parish.

To confirm, the parish registers for Mapledurham are held at Oxfordshire Record Office. The burials are deposited & transcribed to 1934. As we said, beyond that they're still in the parish - so the incumbent is the person to contact.

http://www.achurchnearyou.com/mapledurham-st-margaret/
gives contact details for The Rev'd. Keith Knee-Robinson - both phone & email.

Let us know how you get on !

Wendy

Peter Goodey
08-11-2008, 10:30 AM
gives contact details for The Rev'd. Keith Knee-Robinson - both phone & email.

The questioner may not be aware that there are statutory fees for the service she is seeking.

I would advise her to acquaint herself with these before contacting the vicar.

TABLE OF PAROCHIAL FEES
From 1 January 2008
Prepared by the Archbishops’ Council under the Ecclesiastical Fees Measure 1986
Authorised by the Parochial Fees Order 2007

JenniLl
08-11-2008, 3:48 PM
Thanks for the link Wendy, I am going to follow this up.

Thanks too to Peter, yes I am aware of the Church fees, I hope that the Vicar is willing to let me do the searching.

Am hoping that someone out there may know something about THB and or his second wife Jessie. |help|

Jenni

Marie C..
08-11-2008, 7:42 PM
There is also a cemetery at Pangbourne and a graveyard at the church of St. James there.
And I seem to remember a cemetery in Hemdean Rd. Caversham.
Also there is the church of St. Peter at Caversham.
Mapledurham House has had holiday cottages for let and the owners used to be very nice, kindly folk in the 1960's. Maybe the second wife worked for the estate too?
Sometimes village churches get filled up and villagers go to other places for burial.
Anyway good luck with your searches.
If you stay long enough you might find all you need. Marie

JenniLl
09-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks Marie,

That has given me some further ideas. I have heard from the Priest at St Margaret's and we will go there to look at the Register after Christmas.
I sense a very busy 2009!

Jenni
|biggrin|